• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

CJ7 Wagon and Van

jtaufik

Basic User
City
Jakarta
State
ID
Anybody know the story of CJ7 Wagon and Van? A friend here in Indonesia just purchased a project car and would like to go for a proper restoration. Appreciate your sharing.
7861b415bd886062b24805975d7b0f00-1.jpg
9e347205a79a573cdc38b6c26be45e0d-1.jpg

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Look at the pictures thread, that advert appeared there a few days ago. I personally know nothing of that short Overlander but I'd say treat it like gold, it's rare!

jtaufik

Basic User
City
Jakarta
State
ID
Yup, this is the one in the ad, Gary. My friend got a good deal on this. And then everybody just realized what they have missed!

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
It appears that window was added in the van version as it doesn't have the rear wing version. And yes we have a lot of info here on one of the threads the van was imported as such because it was a lower tariffs without windows I have some soft tops for that that have no windows in the sides. I have always had the "short overlander" on my wish list. Here is one of my favorite ads:

164903a5834aa97504f3b9a29a19c103-1.jpg

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Jeff Scherb the guy making the Trailer kit and the Overlander top for the TJ and LJ's brought a CJ-7 world cab back from England I believe it was. Very similar to the Postal top. They produced different version for different parts of the world.

IIRC, the kept making that top in Venisuala for the Yj for a long time. Big differences is the squared off door in the rear section of the upper drivers and passenger sides.

Carl

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Yes i believe it's the one shown here, I saved this picture a while ago from one of his threads. That's what I was referencing too that it had the vent windows or could not have I am seeing like the overlander and other world cabs has. From memory it looked like it was added but looks like not.

256f32ded10f7260c642c565b484fb68-1.jpg

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
It was me who bought the flyer, but regarding the rear windows it mentions flipper type ones in the advert??

001.jpg002.jpg

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Thats some super large license plate holder!!
9179fea7ab117e4ddd5f93ac9da63bbe-1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P

jtaufik

Basic User
City
Jakarta
State
ID
Thanks for the info, Carl, Eric and Dave. This type was not offered in Indonesian market. There was the so-called "Spirit" model with vertical rear door but wih regular CJ7 hardtop, not the world cab.

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
The side windows on the CJ-7 World Cab I brought back from my years living in London were not factory windows, they were added sometime after. Here are a few more pics of it...

After I got it home, I tried it on the TJ I had at the time:

WorldCab7a-1.jpg

This earlier photo of that same top was published in Jeep World magazine, which was a UK publication (I have most issues of the magazine). It was painted maroon red by the person I bought it from, and when I bought it was still black on most of the inside. I just came across the original eBay listing, I had forgotten that I paid only 102 GPB, which was about $194 at the time. According to the seller, and also according to the editor of Jeep World, who I corresponded with at the time, they both only knew of one other CJ-7 World Cab in the UK.

originalhi_zpsm7euoj7r-1.jpg

It also came from the factory with troop seats in the rear, although all I got of them were the back cushions.

Interior1_zps5zozyqrk-1.jpg

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
It was in pieces because I had to store it in our London apartment for a year before we moved back to the U.S. and had to transport it back from the U.K. to the U.S.

Once back in the U.S., the top became part of my daily driver Retro Wrangler pickup where it's served for the past 7 years, although not in it's original form :).

TopDay3-1.jpg

Hardtop90Pct-1.jpg

RetroWranglerHT3-1.jpg

RetroWranglerHT2-1.jpg

I only used the roof panel in the Retro Wrangler project, the rest of the Retro half cab was made from a CJ-10a cab plus some custom fabrication. I sold off the parts of both the World Cab and the CJ-10a cab that I didn't use in the Retro project.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Jeff - thanks for the backstory. Now I know why there is a "south wales" radio station sticker in the back. :smokin:

jtaufik

Basic User
City
Jakarta
State
ID
Jeff, thanks so much for the info. From your story, I note that this type of "short overlander" world cab is a rare item, right?

May I have you guys opinion as to what style of restoration on this beauty? I have suggested my friend to go with the UK or Australian version, as suppose to the one in Dave's flyer. The former got different and unique taillights and turnlights, and also the KDX mirrors (like the one in Eric's ad).

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Jeff, thanks so much for the info. From your story, I note that this type of "short overlander" world cab is a rare item, right?
The only place I know of that the short version was sold in quantity is Venezuela. It's very rare everywhere else.

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Hey Jeff did you hesitate, even for a second, before you chopped up probably the rarest piece of historic Jeep tin? Sorry I had to ask

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Hey Jeff did you hesitate, even for a second, before you chopped up probably the rarest piece of historic Jeep tin? Sorry I had to ask

No, because I was creating something even more rare - the one-of-a-kind Retro Wrangler pickup :).

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
BTW if I were to do it again I wouldn't have to cut the World Cab apart, now I can make the Retro Wrangler half cab in fiberglass, but at the time my only option was to work in steel and cut the World Cab...

HalfCabProject4-1.jpg

The fiberglass version on a tub, along with a TJ/Commando front end kit...

RetroCompare1_zps23822150-1.jpg