• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Crappy factory paint and moldy interior

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Got the Scrambler out this morning for some long overdue exercise.

Filthy from sitting under the shed (really need to get a cover for it) and the seats, door panels, and inside of the top have mold growing on them, presumably from condensation/ moist air.

The other concern is the crappy factory paint, which has flaked off in a few spots (cowl seam right below passengers side wiper, for example), and the bottom lip of the hood is now showing some rust starting. No rot on here anywhere, but given the mileage on this thing the paint shouldn't have any flaws. Just a crappy paint job that's flaked off in a few spots.
2020.JPG

20204.JPG

As much as I'd love to have this thing in a climate controlled garage, for now all I have is a shed/carport.

Any suggestions on cleaning up this interior without damaging the seats/door panel? Blechewhite and white vinegar have both been suggested, along with Simple Green. I just don't want to risk messing up these seats.

20201.JPG

Had to stop and take a pic and she rolled over another milestone.....

20203.JPG20202.JPG

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I would try some mild soap and very warm water and go from there. Warm humid air is bad stuff.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Dawn dish soap maybe?

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I would do a little google searching. Dish soap if fairly strong, but can be watered down also. Try it in an out of the way area and see what happens.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Also ask CB. He's brought some dashes that were in worst shape back to life.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
For cleaning, you can use a lot of different things, the seats are pretty robust and stand up to a lot.
Greased lighting or Windex... both of those get off some pretty greases heavy junk when I cleaned them up.

But that doesn't look half bad, so I would just use soap/water.
These were designed to run around without tops on and get wet, so water won't hurt the seats... just ring out the wash cloth or sponge a lot and don't get a ton of water on there if you are worried about it.

cb

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
Why such poor storage for such a low mile scrambler? That’s the real problem. If you don’t get it in dry storage with a dehumidifier you can expect it to continue to deteriorate. A cover won’t help your problem.

DSRTBLU 83

City
VALLEY CENTER
State
CA
Nice 8! I used to take my seats out to clean and would throw the carpet in the washing machine after a few desert trips. It was nice to have a bare interior to clean as well. If you haven't cleaned it yet, yes, I would use a mild soap and use one of the Griot protectants after you get that gunk off.
Also, the rust showing is a precursor to actual rot. Plus you don't know how much rust that paint is covering up. A little prevention will go a long way down the road. My $.02