• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Crusty looking leftovers

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
#61
Had a pretty bad driveline vibration. The axles were under a cj7 before so pinion was pretty pitched up. I used a set of shims I had which wasn’t ideal but was quick, but still wasn’t enough. I pulled it into the shop today and cut the perches off the axle and corrected the angle without shims. Much better!
 

Attachments

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
#62
Put a few miles on it thisafternoon. Waaaayyyy better with pinion angle corrected. Wrapped up a few other loose ends.

It rides like a cadillac but needs a sway bar in a bad way! Ran over to my parts stash tonight and pulled one off one of my parts Jeeps. Shift points are a little off, but should be able to get that corrected tomorrow night.

The blazer blower motor moves a ton of air, but I wasn’t getting any warm air, was cool enough it warranted driving with the hood up on my hoodie. Ended up checking basically any and everything......ended up being the temperature cable had came off the linkage. With that corrected it was like a sauna in there!
 

Attachments

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
#63
Well I made my self imposed deadline everything is in place and works now. I didn’t build the tent rack as the weather forecast for south Texas for the next several days includes rain every day. We decided to stay local, going to take it to the track tomorrow and then run it to Branson for a silver dollar city trip.

Was an eventful couple days though! The shift point that were messed up weren’t from the tune, but the rigged VSS. I plugged my scan tool in and was able to view the speed from the VSS. It was all over the place. I assumed I had a bad sensor. Pulled t case and pulled t case adapter off the trans. The drivetrain already had an advance adapters reluctor ring kit installed. It was kinda rigged up, as it wasn’t really meant for the 6 bolt adapter like this one (or atleast that was what I gathered from reading on their site). The spot where the last guy positioned it he had to flip the ring on the output shaft around backwards so it would read due to the sensor not being able to go any further forward. Doing so made it difficult to get it square on the shaft. With correct orientation it seats properly, but backwards it’s easy to get it just a little crooked.

Anyways, replaced the sensor and double checked the reluctor ring when I had it tore down. I was able to square it up better than it was. Reinstalled everything. Nothing. No shifts at all, no speedometer reading on scan tool. Read some more on the advance adapters literature and the clearance was supposed to be .010-.012” and I was positivie there was more gap than that.

So my best guess is that before when the reluctor ring wasn’t square it was wobbling and getting closer on the one side (when it would pick up) then further on the other side (when I would drop). So pulled it back apart. Messed with the mounts ring surface where the bung goes into the adapter housing and got the clearances right. Put the original sensor back in there and works like a champ! Shifts like it’s suppsed to now! It’s amazing what .010” too much will do.

Cleaning it and one of the dirt bikes up thisevening, looking forward to spinning some laps tomorrow.
 

Attachments

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
#64
Well, got the chance to go ride, managed to have a get off in a 3 gear sweeping corner. Wasn’t charging into it and leaning out over the bars. Managed to land on my left shoulder and separate my collarbone from my shoulder, same shoulder that I broke collarbone 12 years ago...awesome! Spent the rest of the afternoon/evening in ER, now need to follow up with ortho to see what the next step is.

So that being said I didn’t get any pictures of the Jeep hooked to the trailer. Ended up taking the truck to Branson as my wife was driving and she didn’t care to drive the scrambler, lol. Didn’t really feel like a silver dollar city trip but suffered through it for the kids!
 

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
#65
Shoulder finally felt decent enough today to clean up my bikes from last week. Rinsed off scrambled while I was at it and grabbed a few pictures. Never showed any of the Laredo interior installed or the engine compartment. Still have lots of tidying up to do, needs a different air filter setup....was just trying to make due with what came on it. Need to wire the winch, get door panels in it, tidy up some engine wiring, and other odds and ends. Threw the full top on it for the family trip, but anxious to get it off there and throw the half cab back on it for the classic scrambler look!
 

Attachments

Top