• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Crusty looking leftovers

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
I know. It is what it is, I should have planned a little better.....but I’m not known for that, haha! When I spoke to him initially it was a 3-4 week turnaround. It was a few weeks before I sent it in, so he must have had several show up before I sent mine in.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Bummer that the harness wont be ready. That's the best part about having a few spares! Your white scrambler looks identical to mine, before I started rust repair. Isn't that the one with the 4.3?

Great folks at nationals. We went last year and had a great time in TN. There was a CJ10, LJ and JK in our group. I would love to go this year, especially since its close. However, we have a 1 month old that might not be ready for jeeping.

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
Yeah, part of flying by the seat of your pants. Yup, that is the 4.3 Jeep. It doesn’t need really anything could hop in it and drive it there. But have a few things I’d like to address.

Yeah, definilty a lot closer to home than last year! The year it was at Moab I said I was going to attend the following year. Well fast forward a few years and still haven’t made one! This year there was no way I could miss it considering it’s less than 2 hours from home so decided to jump in on this project and knock it out. At least this way it will be ready for next year!

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
No updates. The news on the harness pretty well knocked the wind out of my sails. Figured there was no point in busting my balls for the last week to make the nationals deadline with a complete Jeep with no engine harness. Plan is now to just show up to nationals with my cj7 which I was going to bring anyways since it’s my wheeler. Hopefully I won’t be shunned.....don’t want to go to the trouble with the gooseneck to bring the white one for it to just sit. Have all the parts gathered from my parts pile. Hauled five wheels home from my parts pile to strip the clear coat.....my c10 doesn’t have a bed in it yet, so making use of the front seat.

Attachments

• 89732CA8-8E9D-4F18-A9FF-ABC586F4BD68.jpeg
    89732CA8-8E9D-4F18-A9FF-ABC586F4BD68.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

CamJake

Basic User
City
Sandwich
State
Ma
I will eventually, but for now just going to keep it simple. I’m bringing my cj7 to wheel at smorr. I imagine I will add to the crossmember for it to resemble what I built on my 7.
Love the crossmember/skid plate! Just what I’m looking for for my 8. Is it built from scratch or did you build it off of something?

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
Love the crossmember/skid plate! Just what I’m looking for for my 8. Is it built from scratch or did you build it off of something?

All custom built. 1.75 dom tubing and the bushing kit from Barnes 4x4. Skinned it with 3/16 plate then a strip of 3/4” UHMW.

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
Had a blast at nationals, even being in a cj7. Good clean fun, almost made it the whole weekend without issues after running with the extreme group. No Jeep issues outside of a fitting on the ram that loosened up and ripping off one of my rear bump stop bushings.........but as far as my truck goes that is a different story. I made it about 15 minutes from home Saturday evening and hit a deer. One more thing to fix!

Attachments

• 5FEAC1E9-BC73-425D-8655-C67D0288D61D.jpeg
    5FEAC1E9-BC73-425D-8655-C67D0288D61D.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 53
  • E1C9426A-18A9-495C-9C46-268CE942D4DE.jpeg
    E1C9426A-18A9-495C-9C46-268CE942D4DE.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 52

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Hit could have been worse (a little higher). Good to see you could drive away from it.

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
For sure, guessing he tripped or started to cut back the other direction right before I hit him. Tweaked the bottom side of the intercooler, ac condenser, and steering cooler. Bent intercooler brackets as well. Have one of the MOVE bumpers on the way. Should prevent it from happening again. It’s all weld together DIY kit.

Attachments

• 01D7D2C9-850F-4A06-8229-539DAAD0FF7C.png
    01D7D2C9-850F-4A06-8229-539DAAD0FF7C.png
    289.5 KB · Views: 15

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
pity the next deer. Looks nice also. That will help keep you safe.

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
Just received notificafion today that my harness is being shipped back. Haven’t messed with the Jeep at all since back in June when I received the info that the harness wouldn’t be ready. Just got back from Colorado last week, had an eventful trip but was well worth it! Pulled me and my dads LJ’s out there. Had three blowouts on the way out there so had opportunity to stimulate the Colorado economy while there and buy new tires! Fortunately I had four spares!

On the way home just before the Colorado/Kansas border the truck downshifted then shifted back then downshifted again really hard and was stuck In fourth gear all the way across Kansas. So needless to say I rolled through several stoplights to avoid completely stopping.

It didn’t stop there either! Last Saturday morning when I was unloading everything I pulled the half doors off my LJ and had walked about 30 feet with it. I was carrying it by the soft upper (I now regret that decision) but as difficult as the uppers are to get off I’ve never had any issue carrying them that way. Lesson learned though! As I took one more step and was in process of setting it down the half door separated from the upper and landed on my big toe. I took off and tried to outrun the pain but it didn’t work, once I was inside and worked up the nerve to take my sock off I knew it was more than a smashed nail. It pretty much peeled all the skin off my big toe, basically de-gloved it. Went to ER and they end up putting stitches through my nail to hold it all together. It’s gnarly, I’ll save you guys the pain and not share the pictures here....haha.

But considering all the issues I’d go back to Colorado tomorrow if I could! Currently planning to go back with a group of buddies around Labor Day like we did last year. Not sure where we will land this year, last year we ran around Buena Vista. Carnage canyon and Chinaman were the notables.

Attachments

• 5B2B1D04-0D9B-4D9A-83C0-2ED1D3F65378.jpeg
    5B2B1D04-0D9B-4D9A-83C0-2ED1D3F65378.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 26
  • CB311591-E051-4923-9A6F-9DD5BE8133D2.jpeg
    CB311591-E051-4923-9A6F-9DD5BE8133D2.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 26
  • D2E1C6F0-22E0-4D53-9B78-A5D794CB1067.jpeg
    D2E1C6F0-22E0-4D53-9B78-A5D794CB1067.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 24
  • 7FF9A7F7-F37B-408A-AF86-6E628F05FF7F.jpeg
    7FF9A7F7-F37B-408A-AF86-6E628F05FF7F.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Dang, three tires a trans and a toe, that was an eventful trip. Saw the pics on FB, beautiful area. I think we may try to take a CO trip next year.

So, do you like driving the LJ or scrambler more? My wife saw your LJ and commented that maybe we need a newer Jeep...

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
The modern conveniences of the newer stuff is nice, but I like the simplicity of the older Jeeps. It’s hard to have a Jeep that does it all, so my solution is to have one for each purpose, lol. I’m still planning out the perfect Jeep in my head.....can’t quite hammer out all the details.

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
In my mind I keep coming up with an ls powered scrambler on 40’s and one tons, LCOG and hydraulic assist steering. I think that would help with street manners and still be capable off-road. I pretty much have all the parts to put that Jeep together....just need a t case adapter and another harness and computer tune. Along with link material for suspension.....so probably another $4k, haha!

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
Father /son LJ's.....nice(y)

Yup, I got on a kick last year buying LJ’s off copart.....like 6ish of them or so. Dad decided he wanted one in the process. Threw a clip on it for him and a few front end parts and it has basically became his daily.

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
Harness showed up this afternoon. Guess I need to tear back into this thing!

Attachments

• E30F3BB3-3554-4E64-BD3B-7D0638E2BF27.jpeg
    E30F3BB3-3554-4E64-BD3B-7D0638E2BF27.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 7

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
Fit and welded up truck bumper yeasterday, going to fit the tubing for the grill guard portion today then pull back off and start prepping it fo paint. Going to color match the body.

Attachments

• FF6D02BA-7791-494D-8A3C-9FD72BF137F0.jpeg
    FF6D02BA-7791-494D-8A3C-9FD72BF137F0.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 20

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
Almost, still have to add the two kickers off the side. Then pull it back off and paint. Then maybe I can get back to the scrambler.

Attachments

• 188BFBCC-19C2-497A-BB1A-C9A7492EE0DF.jpeg
    188BFBCC-19C2-497A-BB1A-C9A7492EE0DF.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 22