• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

CV joint Dana 30 upgrade shafts, worth the very high price?

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I go back and forth on weather or not to try to rebuild my original front and rear axles, or spend on new ones.

I am now leaning more towards trying to rebuild my Dana 30 front, and 86' CJ Dana 44 rear. I will probably just rebuild and re-gear both to 3.73.

My other concern is weight. I am concerned about exceeding the GVWR, and if that would come back to bite me at some point. Especially considering my modest use.

If you stay Dana 30 and AMC 20 (should be plenty heavy duty if you have 1 piece shafts) I have a set of 3.73 ring and pinions I'd sell cheap... I upgraded to 4.56 when I went bigger tires....

Domin8

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Astoria
State
NY
If you stay Dana 30 and AMC 20 (should be plenty heavy duty if you have 1 piece shafts) I have a set of 3.73 ring and pinions I'd sell cheap... I upgraded to 4.56 when I went bigger tires....

Thanks for the response.

I have the original AMC 20 on the Jeep now, but I also have a Dana 44 rear from an '86 CJ I picked up a few years ago.

I also have an extra Dana 30 front I got a few years ago as well.

Hopefully, one of each of them is worth saving.

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
I was wondering what the non greaseable one is for Spicer 153X

My understanding is that's for driveshafts, not axleshafts. The axle shaft u-joints are different, and the see different loads(turning).

Domin8

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Astoria
State
NY

Sorry, I just re-read and realized that I missed you saying you have a set of 3.73 ring and pinions.

Thank you, but one of the two Dana 30's I have, already has 3.73 gears in it. I don't know what the Dana 44 has in it, and I'm not likely to use the AMC 20.

Thanks again though!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Another consideration on a D44 is steering. But you could always build a 44 housing and use 30 knuckles-

Domin8

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Astoria
State
NY
Another consideration on a D44 is steering. But you could always build a 44 housing and use 30 knuckles-

Question is, where to get Dana 30 knuckles that aren't all pitted and in terrible shape?