Easter Jeep Safari 2017

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
I am in for Thursday. I don't plan on running any trails, day trip meet go to the trade show head home again. Of course I'll bring the Scrambler. Where we going to meet?

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
As far as I know, 10 a.m. at Baby Lions Back...which is just past the Sand Flats entrance booth on the left. Other good optiions might be the Lion's Park at the 191/128 intersection...or the City Park...or the Courthouse Wash parking area about a half mile north of the river bridge. We've got about 6 weeks to figure it out. There's a fee to get past the Sand Flats booth...and it's impossible to tell how crowded it might be at Baby Lions Back that week. I'll contact Andrea (she's the director of the Sand Flats Recreation Area) and see if she might be able to help us out.

Just a note on some road closures:

Starting mid-March: Arches National Park will be closed from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. through late November for road construction. Some areas like Delicate Arch and The Windows Section could be completely closed even during the day for weeks at a time. No sunset shots. No camping.

Starting March 6: The LaSal Mtn Loop Road will be closed 24/7 through sometime in May for construction. Some parts of the road will still be accessible, but you won't be able to make the loop.

Scheduled to start May 1: Highway 128 will receive asphalt pavement (not just chipseal). Expect delays.

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
I heard back from Andrea. She said she doesn't "foresee any issues" with us meeting at Baby Lion's Back. So let's plan on Thursday, April 13, at 10 a.m. I told her there probably would be about a half dozen vehicles, though we all know Scramblers draw a crowd wherever they go. If anyone hasn't tested their low-range on slickrock fins, Baby Lion's Back is way fun and will provide some good photo ops. There's a turn-around on top.

There is a $5.00 per vehicle per day fee to get past the Sand Flats entrance booth...unless you have an annual pass. Hopefully it won't be too crowded that morning. We can always move a few hundred yards up the road to the Slickrock Bike Trail parking lot if it is.

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
The Safari officially kicks off today. It looks like the weather may verge on perfect for the entire week...sunny and low 80's by the end of next week. Hopefully, traffic won't be as bad this week as it was a couple of weeks ago when it was backed up (stop and go) coming in from the north for well over 3 miles...for hours at a time. That happened for at least 3 days.

I'm still planning on Baby Lion's Back at 10 a.m. on Thursday. Hope to see some of you there. I'll have about 45 minutes, then have to head to the arena to do drone shots of the outdoor vendor display area for the Red Rock 4-Wheelers. I'll be helping with traffic control on Saturday morning...and will then be at the Sheriff's Command Post on the Sand Flats road until 2 p.m. that day. Will have the Scrambler in town Monday, Thursday and Saturday. Would love to check out any others in town. I haven't seen one besides mine for at least 6 months. They must be rare.

Last edited:

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Will be passing through/spending the night tomorrow @ The Apache on my way back from Albuquerque. No jeep though.

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Hmmm...looks like I may be the only one there. It's a good thing I enjoy my own company. I'll stick around for 10 minutes or so but will have to head to the vendor display at the arena to get drone shots before the forecast 40mph wind gusts develop in the afternoon.

Edit: Actually, if no one else is planning to be up at Baby Lions Back at 10, I will probably just head straight to the arena.

Last edited:

Cursivearmy

Basic User
SOA Member
Moabite, I saw your scrambler in a video on Instagram,

Fred Williams from dirt everyday posted a video about a flat fender and your scrambler is in the background! Awesome.

I was in Moab during EJS last year riding mountain bikes and would have loved to be there again to see the jeeps! I saw a procession of scramblers going up sand flats towards fins and things for a night run last year, old jeeps look so much more classic in that terrain to me than a the JK's you see running around. Even though the JKs are crazy capable.

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Thanks...just did a Google search and saw that. It was great meeting a few of the other folks from CJ-8 forum. There were 3 other Scramblers at Baby Lion's Back yesterday. As I was on the way down, I saw another one headed up. I wish I could have stayed longer. As it turned out, I wasn't able to beat the wind to the arena. I got the drone about 20 feet in the air and had to bring it down...way too gusty. Vendors were strapping their display tents to vehicles and many people were walking around with bandannas over their faces to keep from breathing in the considerable amount of blowing dust and sand. I don't remember it ever being so windy at the vendor display.