• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Expedition Scrambler..?

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
get a Tom Woods driveshaft. They are cheap and VERY good... its money well spent.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
I know it's hard to put the money out but AAA can easily pay for itself. Should almost be mandatory...

Good luck getting them on the road!

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
Just curious Jeepdreamer on how the repairs are coming. Nothing like staring at prized possessions that you want to get running and no time to commit to them. We all feel your pain as we've all been there.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Hey Bug (and all!),
I hate to admit that I haven't done squat to the 8 since the last ds grenaded. I've been trying to get the XJ functioning correctly and that has been eating what little free time I seem to have had lately. Plus lots of little weird side projects keep creeping up. :/ Right now the 8 has been just sitting patiently in the parking lot, serving as a non mobile storage unit. I'll need to get to it soon because I have a feeling we will get an early spring. Weather has been pretty bad all over this year so who knows. But I'll post up as soon as I get moving. :)

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
Right now the 8 has been just sitting patiently in the parking lot

Reminds me of a patient loyal dog I once had. Don't worry, it's not going anywhere. It will be there, ready and excited for you to pay attention to it.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
I just found this thread through a Google search for Jeep FCs, and thought I'd share my "Patina Rod" project (build thread HERE). It'll definitely have an expedition flare, but I'm not sure as to what extent yet. I'm still gathering the right stuff for the basic "infrastructure".

forum

Bryanf

Legacy Registered User
City
Clarkesville
State
GA
I like it! Can't wait to see the build.

I just found this thread through a Google search for Jeep FCs, and thought I'd share my "Patina Rod" project (build thread HERE). It'll definitely have an expedition flare, but I'm not sure as to what extent yet. I'm still gathering the right stuff for the basic "infrastructure".

forum

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO

10372308_10203942242386334_5617290066176346231_n.jpg

I can never decide if you're tourturing me or simply being inspirational...So I flipped a coin (two headed of course :rolleyes:) and it came up insirirational. haha. Since I can't seem to find time for my own junk..I AM going to live vicariously through you on this project. :)

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
As far as my project I am hoping soon I'll be getting time off. I've accrued over 90 days of leave, not counting the 14 I lost in October for fiscal year accounting ( :angry: ) And have decided that work will have to wait. I have jeep wrenching to do. :)
To update, the jeep still sits patiently, now covered in snow, and I've been pondering my options. I contacted Tom Woods a couple months ago for custom drive shafts but was told they can't help. Seems the angle of my rear (blush) is to sever for any shaft to live. So now I've been pondering how to address this and am going to go a couple directions. First stage is to see how I can lower the jeep some. As it sits it his pretty tall and those 35s look a little small. Its SOA plus whatever lift the mystery springs add so I could probably clear 38s right now. No need for all that as I'm happy with 35s. So...I called a budy of mine that has a full set of YJ 2" springs sitting in his garage collecting dust. I'm going to "borrow" them and see if I can lose some tall by switching to them. I'm hoping the flatter profile and lower spring rate will allow me to sit lower. If I can make that work and a rear shaft can be made, cool. If its still to tall then I will dig into stage two. Finding a way to lower the tail end of the t-case. Since the crossmember took me a huge amount of work and lots of trial and error I am hesitant to modify it to much. I like that there is very little hanging down and given the literal sickness I endured from cutting the cherry floor pan to make it work...I sure don't want that to be for naught.
So as the weather slowly turns and the drip drip of melting snow is everywhere...stay tuned boys and girls. This may become a Pheonix project yet! :)

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Here I thought you were getting a transfer here to the desert-

Funny you said that but no. I was just online yesterday updating my "wish list" of where I'd like to be stationed next. Not that it does any good but I was killing time. I've been trying since I came back in the army (2008) to simply get stationed in Colorado. No luck so far. :( I'm due to reenlist /move by this time next year so hopefully. ..

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Welcome back! Long time gone. We're trying to get back west too. Good luck!

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Welcome back! Long time gone. We're trying to get back west too. Good luck!

Thank you sir. While I never really left I wasn't very active. I tend to troll through and check stuff out from time to time. Also wandering around the classifieds. :)

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Well, update time. After almost a year I finally drove the scrambler. About a quarter mile anyways. :I
made a temp front shaft and limped it over to the shop to start tinkering on it. A guy there gave me a free set of BDS YJ 2"springs so I spent Friday swapping them out. Had a long fight with the front u bolts but finally got it done. The jeep is now about 2.5-3 inches lower, yea! But I'm really not happy. The yj springs are near inverted probably due to the weight difference and the fact they only have 3 springs. The end result is I have a usable rear shaft angle but the ride is horrible! Way to soft and it feels near to tipping over in a curve. Plus I noticed the shocks only have an inch or two of compression before bottoming out. So I guess it's back to the drawing board for me. Probably going to add an additional spring to the pack and hope that solves the issue and still let's me get a rear shaft to work. I'll try and add the post drop pics so you guys can see where I'm at. The other cj in the pic is also running 35s on about 3"s lift. My soa isn't much taller which is good and the flex is nuts. But I cant have it unroadworthy so I'm gonna get back at it.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Pics...

Attachments

• tapatalk_1428337341357-1.jpg
    tapatalk_1428337341357-1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 278
  • tapatalk_1428337350615~2.jpg
    tapatalk_1428337350615~2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 279
  • tapatalk_1428337371418-1.jpg
    tapatalk_1428337371418-1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 278
  • tapatalk_1428337380476~2.jpg
    tapatalk_1428337380476~2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 280

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Got some free time between missions today so I got some stuff knocked out on the CJ. Rummaged through the left overs of the springs I removed and found some that hopefully would work to help firm up the ride. I used two for each of the rear springs on the bottom of the pack and that seemed to help some. The front was lower and the whole jeep still felt a little loose so I added one to each front pack then took it for a test ride. Over all, MUCH better. Added about a half inch back to the height and I could hear a couple times where the temp drive shaft complained so I'm not perfect, but definatly better. I think the next thing to do is see about either dropping the t case a little or maybe save up for a super short HD out put shaft for the Dana 300. At least then I could have an excuse to twin stick the t case and maybe add a drive shaft parking brake. Maybe. Gotta see what the costs and install issues are between all the HD 300 kit makers.
Another thing I noticed while toodling around on my test ride was the jeep wasn't turning for crap when I went left. Right was fine and made a pretty small radius. Left felt like I got a 1/4 turn out of the wheel ant that was it. Got back to the shop and after staring and head scratching for a while I came to the conclusion that the drag link was just to long. That entire steering system I had ordered via PartsMike and I've been less than impressed given how expensive it all was. The beef is there for sure. But some things just haven't fit/worked as I would have thought they should. Whats odd is I didn't notice the left no-turn being as bad before lowering the jeep. Some, but no where near as bad as it became. And since the drag link (DOM tube with 1 ton TREs) was as short as it would go I knew I had to shorten it. Biggest worry was that I would cut the tube down and some how booger up the threads and not be able to get the TRE back in. Well. I measured to cut off and inch and hit it with the angle grinder (with cut off wheel). Then I switched to a sanding disc to clean it up a bit and WOOT! Went together like butter! Put it back on the jeep and...HOLY COW! WHAT a DIFFERENCE! Still a little slop which is probably due to the factory steering shaft ( Ineed to upgrade that soon too) but it turns SO much sharper now! YEA!
So that's about it for this weekend. Slowly making baby steps but the more sucess I have the more I want to get back at it. Hopefully I can figure out these angles and order shafts so the jeep can be driven for real. Then I will get at the million other issues and needs and who knows...Maybe one day actually wheel the thing!

highlandercj-7

Loc'k n Loaded
City
Pittsburgh
State
PA
Someone jacked with those springs is my best guess. All of my BDS springs have 4-5 leafs. Glad you got it working better.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Someone jacked with those springs is my best guess. All of my BDS springs have 4-5 leafs. Glad you got it working better.

You are correct. :) someone took put them on their yj but they were to low so he abandoned them at the shop. One of the regulars there claimed them and disassembled them for who knows why. After about a year they ended up getting thrown in the dumpster where I found em. Got all the parts minus two of the shortest bottom leaves. But they were free and basically brand new so who's complaining. Haha. It does ride much better but still a wee bit soft. I may put the front sway bar back on and see if that helps. If it does I'll get some disconnects for it.