• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Expedition Scrambler..?

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
XJ pic

Sorry for the crappy pics. I got a surprise call from the driver saying he was there to pic up the Jeep. A DAY EARLY! Yikes! ;) Thankfully it was mostly done and he didn't care one lick if it was clean or leaked or nothing! So on it went and off to the port! Yea!

Attachments

• 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    774.6 KB · Views: 370
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    860.9 KB · Views: 368

Bushmaster6

Legacy Registered User
City
the Springs
State
CO
what did you do, ship one commercially/at your expense? I'd be interested to know how that works out for you.. may be PCS-ing to Ramstein this year and would consider buying a cool old BMW/Benz and shipping it home (if the price was reasonable).. as Euro-spec models command a high price here in the states...

looks like someone else decided to bring their Americana to GE with them on the trailer in front of you.. diesel pickup with the slide in RV camper.. that must be fun to drive on the a-bahn

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Hey Guys........... I'm BACK!!!!!!!!!!! Woot!
Still trying to work through some computer issues but let me try and get this up and answer some Q's. :)
Bushmaster 6. Yup, I shipped the XJ on my own dime and honestly I wish I could have afforded to ship both! The process wasn't very difficult but the cost was somewhat more that I would have liked (I'm a cheap ol bastard. haha) it wasn't horrible really. It cost me $2150.00 to ship it which is 1800 for the transportation and 350 for some port fees etc. They came to pick the jeep up at vilsect and handed me my reciept and that was it. WAY easier than the huge headaches that the Military gives you at the VPC to turn in your POV. My CJ was given the fine tooth comb and the jerks working there continuiously gave me flak about the parking break no holding enough, they claimed it leaked (it doesn't but I had just pressure washed it) and they thought it was to big. Bah! The XJ was just loaded on the trailer and the driver didn't car a lick that I had cleaned it or that it didn't even have the parking break hooked up. Heck, the rear diff was dripping too and he just shrugged and said "oh well". haha!
As for shipping a Euro spec vehicle...that can be a slippery slope. My best suggestion is that you contact the shipper I used ( I priced several and these guys were very helpful and resaonable) and ask them. Let me dig up a contact address for you.
Here you go:
Kathy Godwin
Import Trade Services, Inc.
10 Harold Ln
Baytown, TX 77521
Tel#281-428-5826
Fax#281-428-5886
www.importtrade.org
kgodwin@importtrade.org

Kathy does the customs paperwork but you'll get a DE agent to help you on that end.
The cool thing about them shipping it was speed. My CJ won't arrive before 40 days or so. The XJ will be here on the 28th of this month. They both go to the same port in Baltimore and probably ride on the same boat...haha. Stupid GOV turtleness.
Jim and Capt. Jack.... Yup! Excited beyond words that I am back in the land I love! I still have a lot to do to the CJ before it can go to the Nationals but its enroute at least. I screwed up and forgot to measure for driveshafts so I could have ordered them while I am waiting but hopefully it won't take to long for them to be made.
All in all, just getting off the plane (trip from hell!) and being on US soil is such a wonderful feeling! I'll rent a car and head down to Ft Myer on Saturday to get signed in and then drop a leave form once I get the XJ and CJ back home.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Thanks brotha!
After being away for so long it only serves to remind me how very much I LOVE my Country! :):usflag:

Bushmaster6

Legacy Registered User
City
the Springs
State
CO
Thanks for the details. The reality is that we'll probably explore the manufacturers foreign sales programs, where you take delivery if a new car in country, use it for x years, and then take it back to the dealer and they shop it for u as part of their routine import shipments. You just yell them what dealer u want it delivered to.

I've heard about the civ vs gov difference in shipping. Pricey but much easier. Not surprising.

Welcome back!

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Think long and hard about what you want and plan ahead.
Side note. If you like the Jeep you have you may want to think twice before sending it there. The rust from winter driving is insane. Also, its not all that difficult to scope out a good buy on a "beater" jeep there. I found my XJ on GrafYardSales.com and it was so rust free I brought it home. XJs and Grand Cherks turn up fairly often and if you can catch someone that is leaving soon they will usually deal a lot! The options when you get short are not in the sellers favor. If you don't sell your vehicle before hand you can't clear. Then when you wait until last minute and nobody wants to buy it you get screwed and have to pay...yup, you pay, to have the car "junked". 60 bucks. I've seen a lot of really good cars that ended up in the junkyard for just that reason. Sad.
Just something to think about. :)

Bushmaster6

Legacy Registered User
City
the Springs
State
CO
Scrambler's not going with us.. will ship the wife's Avant and then look at a beater buy there..

trying to get the Scrambler running so I can get it into storage.. yup, after all this time/effort, if I get it running it'll be just so I can drive it to storage..

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Honestly... that's a wise decision. Even when mine was drivable and I could justify the gas costs I never felt comfy driving it somewhere. Old CJs are so freakin' easy to steal.... I'd go ballistic if I came out and found it gone! So lesson learned and next time I'll know. :)
Hit up Graf yard sales when you get there. You can usually find a beater XJ or Grand Cherk somewhere for sale.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Home again, Home again!
WaaHoooo!
Went up to Baltimore to pick up the Scrambler this afternoon. So glad its home now.
During the inspection I found the passenger side windshield wiper was falling off. Not sure why but it snapped right back on. Then I opened the door and found my air cleaner sitting on the seat. Hmm... That was strange and none of the workers had any comment other than "maybe Customs took it off?" Uh... doubt it but whatever.
So I get done checking it out and head away from the parking lot to the Gas station. We are made to keep less than a 1/4 tank of gas in them when we ship it. Well... wouldn't you know I get 300 yards from the gas station and poof! Out of gas! lol! I called the lady and asked her if they could do anything. She says "Don't you have a gas can?" *DOH!* No lady... you guys won't let us ship anything in the vehicle, remember! Yeesh! So she put me on hold for 15 minutes while she tries to help. Sends out one of her workers (same one that gave me the keys before inspection!) who brings me a gas can. An EMPTY gas can!
So after priming the carb and emptying the can into the jeep I got it all filled up and headed home. Made it safe and sound despite lots of traffic and getting a little lost. haha!

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Welcome home. And glad you have you Scrambler home with you.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Thanks guys, Its great to be home.
The only down side is that I've been hemorrhaging money getting it done so funds are super thin right now. Between Jeep shipping (and building!), hotel and rental cars, getting tags and insurance, a storage unit, and a myriad of other stuff I'm pretty well tapped out. I'm hoping that a few paychecks will get me caught up but there are a lot of jeep "needs" that I won't be able to do for a bit.
The CJ needs driveshafts and some TLC.
The XJ needs a lot more, also including a driveshaft.
On the brighter side I have a delivery on Monday for all my house hold goods. That means no "work" for me all day and my stuff is here! WOOT! I'll have to sift through all my stuff to see what will stay in storage and what I'll bring out. Lots of projects I'm anxious to start and soon I'll have the means if not the money or time. :)(

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
You need to update that City/State now... no more GE!!!!
Congrats on being home.
Get settled in... the money will come (at least that is what I keep telling myself).

cb

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
You need to update that City/State now... no more GE!!!!
Congrats on being home.Thanks and I just fixed it! :)
Get settled in... the money will come (at least that is what I keep telling myself).
I know some will come but at least I'm better at not spending what I don't have than my employer...haha!
cb

Responded in quote.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Well... Some little progress and feedback on an upgrade. Unfortunately, I just got called into work so it'll have to wait a bit. Plus I didn't get pics yet so maybe that's a good thing. ;)

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Lame update and heartfelt apologies to all for not keeping stuff rolling. Long story short, I'm jeepless. And vehicleless as well. :O
No...No... I have my CJ and the XJ. They are just both broken. :(
I was coming back from MD last week and the scrambler chucked its 3rd driveshaft at about 70mph. exciting. haha! So another tow truck bill later it is sitting and will be back burnered until I can actually tare into it and fix it all correctly (=$$)
The XJ was parked after tossing its drive shaft as well (what a crappy trend I have going here!) and I refused to sink another penny into making another one for it as a 2wd. So now I am waiting for a free weekend to make a run to the junkyard so I can hopefully score a transmission and t-case as well as a handful of D-shafts and get the XJ up and running. Once it returns to DD status I'll be cracking into the CJ.