• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

factory frame improvements....

cj8wheeler

Monkey Magic
City
Monroe
State
WA
I recently tore my 8 down to a bare frame... I am looking for ideas/suggestions on strengthing/improving the frame before I begin painting the frame and re-assembly...

I am considering the MORE frame plates... anyone have anything good or bad to say about these?

any other things I should do?

Thanks,

--
Todd
 
i used the MORE frame plates on the front and they fit perfect. i would recommend running bolts thru all the holes you will be using and tack the plate on really well before welding it on solid. i also made a pair of frame plates for the rear out of 3/16" material. they seem to work fine too.

matt
 
thanks for the info...

any reason you didn't use the rear MORE frame plates?

Their website says they were designed for a cj7, but will work on a cj8...
 
jeepnmatt said:
i used the MORE frame plates on the front and they fit perfect. i would recommend running bolts thru all the holes you will be using and tack the plate on really well before welding it on solid. matt

Ditto

I haven't had any problems with the rear portion of my frame (no cracks, delaminating welds, etc) but my front is F***ed!!
I have the front MORE and went ahead and made some plates to reinforce the inside of the frame (where the engine mounts are) recently when I had the whole front apart during my 5.0 swap.
I must say the MORE plates fit very well, only slight grinding here and there then they fit perfectly.
Now I need to reinforce a bit more on the ront of my frame under the area where a winch sits.
I put a steering box brace on and where it bolts to the passenger side of the frame there is a crack that spans the entire width of the frame. If I didn't have the MORE bracket I'd have a broken frame for sure.
I intend to weld that crack, wheel this weekend, then reinforce the weld sometime in the next couple of weeks with some 1/4" plate when I tear the front apart for the front portion of my SOA conversion.

Chasing cracks sucks.

If I had rmoved my front "Anti-sway bar" when I was a wheeling newb I wouldn't have so many crack in the frame today.

Live and learn!

Mark
 
DITTO

The MORE plates are the way to go,they fit well,I've talked to people that have made their own and to me they didn't come out ahead by the time they cut them,try them and then drill all the holes and make them fit-Much easier to get them ready to go and as far as i'm concered only for a few bucks more after you figure labor building them,maybe some people work cheaper than i do,but i charge a premium price for my labor when i work for my self!;) -JC:D
 
Mark, do you happen to have close up pics of the area that cracked? I haven't heard of anyone cracking on the passenger side frame as a result of a steering brace...and would be interested to see the damage. Do you think that area need an additional support from one frame rail to the other to strengthen that area?

thx.

--
Todd
 
the MORE front frame plates are definitely worth the $$$

i didn't use them in the rear because i wanted something that was longer than what the CJ-7 frame plates were. now that i've done it, the cj-7 MORE rear frame plates would probably be the best way to go.

matt
 
I will be posting a whole bunch of pictures over this weekend since I get paid today and can finally afford batteries for my Digital Camera.

Among other pictures (5.0 engine, SOA rear, 36" Beadlocks, etc..) I will get a picture of all my various frame cracks as well as the plating.

Stay tuned...

I believe I am getting so many cracks in my frame up front from the years of wheeling I did with the "Anti-sway bar" attached.
I was green and didn't realize the damage that was occuring everytime I stuffed my tires into the wheelwells with that bar attached.
I didn't get the quick disconnects on the sway bay untill it was to late (5 years of wheeling).
Now I have removed the entire bar and mounting brackets.

Also I am running 36" tires and really hammer my Jeep on the trails around here weekly or at least once every two weeks.

That has a detrimental effct I'm sure.

Mark
 
Back
Top