• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Frame paint

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
What paints do you guys use in a frame restoration? Should it be blasted, epoxied and top coated or por 15/ chassis saver and top coated?

Sent from my E6782

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I used Por-15. I did it about 15 years ago though, so there could be something better now. It has held up well, but my 8 doesn't see any salt.

Sent from my SM-G900V

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
Did you top coat it or just por. I don't think it's uv resistant

Sent from my E6782

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
2 part epoxy por15 .. no top coat needed

Sent from my SM-N910P

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
Epoxy primer then por 15? Seems kinda pointless to use por over primer. Isn't it's main application bare metal?

Sent from my E6782

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Epoxy primer then por 15? Seems kinda pointless to use por over primer. Isn't it's main application bare metal?

Sent from my E6782
No its all in one. No need to top coat.
158f69b2382211a2e684f2b675f15a47-1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I'm actually a big fan of the Tractor Supply implement paint. If you add hardener it is tough as nails, cheap, and looks good. Of course, I'm not dealing with rot like the guys up north, so for me I just used some Phosphoric Acid, cleaned everything up, and then painted it on.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Epoxy primer has a strong bond to metal. Por15 gets hard and become brittle and can peel if it doesn't get a good bond. I have epoxy primer on my work trucks and on the one truck when I painted the truck black I didn't put enough paint on so when I wet sanded I took the paint to primer in spots. Since it's a work truck I left it and never got around to repainting and no rust at all. That was 4 years ago and the truck gets washed once a year (late spring). This truck survives Cleveland Ohio winters (with all our salt) and the truck looks the same as when I finished the paint job. More important is that if you sand blast the frame try to blast the inside some, wash out and treat the inside. Most frames after sandblasting will rust out from the inside out (my cj7 second rebuild was because the frame rotted out from inside out after a sandblast, ended up with a TDK frame:rolleyes:, but the rot was a rude awakening).

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
I'll spray krown rust cop on everything biannualy when it's done. It won't be driven in the winter here either. It will only see 7 or 8 months of use every year. A guy I know has his 96 gmc sprayed every other year since new. Almost never washes it and zero rust. And they definitely like the salt around here.

Sent from my E6782

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Rustolium satin black works for me. Easy touch ups. It stays on a garage and out of salt, when we have salt.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Yes, standard POR15 does go chalky with only moderate UV exposure if you don't top coat it. Mine is always garage kept and after 2 years it looks like this:

IMG_2432.JPG

I don't mind as I was just doing something quick to clean up the rear frame rail on my "mottled" galvanized frame. "Someday" it will all be fixed permanently.

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
I've used Por15 in the past but now prefer to use some of the Eastwood paint/rust prevention products on all my latest builds. Eastwood's internal frame coating is awesome stuff; I use it generously inside the frame rails and the body support channels. I use the internal frame coating nozzle to then top coat the inner frame rails and body support channels with rust encapsulator and/or chassis black paint.

Sent via smoke signal