• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Front Axle upgrade

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
I think I might want to upgrade the front axle so I can change to a lower gear ratio and still have adequate tooth engagement. I currently have a Scout II rear D44 and intuitively it seems the mate to that would be my best choice but I understand Scouts have some funky alignment specs up front. Do all D44 front options need to have the springs outboarded? Any applications that dont and have the diff on the correct side?

Thanks

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
OOps I forgot to mention affordable didnt I, I only hav e the one liver to sell for jeep parts and I just sold it for an engine...

thanks though....

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
You need a front 44 from me pre-80 J-10 pick up, 65 inches wide, you will narrow the long side about 4 inches so that you could move the spring perch over to 28 inches wide, and now that axle is 61 inches wide and bolts in and matches your rear scout 44
Of course, you still need to convert to five on 5 1/2 old pattern

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
My commando has a Dana 60 that was narrowed 4 inches on the long side, Spring perches are at 28 inches wide and fits the factory leafspring location

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
You need a front 44 from me pre-80 J-10 pick up, 65 inches wide, you will narrow the long side about 4 inches so that you could move the spring perch over to 28 inches wide, and now that axle is 61 inches wide and bolts in and matches your rear scout 44
Of course, you still need to convert to five on 5 1/2 old pattern
This is the best answer. I did this, pretty much, but used a Waggy front, the J-truck front would have been a better choice. You’ll want the front perches 27.5” apart, on center. This type 44 build has been covered online repeatedly. I did mine, you can do it too.

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
Thanks guys, You have a D60 in the front of the commando John? I didnt realize that. I think I can get away with a 44 for mine, finding one from a J10 is going to be the hard part.

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
Thanks guys, You have a D60 in the front of the commando John? I didnt realize that. I think I can get away with a 44 for mine, finding one from a J10 is going to be the hard part.

J10 or Cherokee chief ( as long as it has the bigger fender flares )

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA

Nope, James Lupo does...I have a 44 in the front of my Scrambler. Either a J-10/20 front 44 or a wide track Cherokee Chief front 44.

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
Thanks, sorry I misunderstood who had what... I wish I still had my WT Cherokee, I think it would render this all moot as Id just sink some $ into it from the Scrambler sale and be done! I guess I need to keep my eyes open...

So why is the WT SJ front end preferable to th emuch more available NT Wagoneer/Cherokee?

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
There are several reasons, but mainly the overall width after you cut it down. You want your front slightly wider than the rear. CJ widetrack is 56" front and 54.5"rear. If you cut a NT you will end up approx 57.5" which is narrower than your 59" Scout D44 rear. Cutting a widetrack will net you approx 61.5" and better match your 59" rear.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I didn't know the fronts are wider than the rears. What is the reasoning of that ?