• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

front seat recommendation

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
I'm getting old and about once or twice a year I'll drive my 8 on a fairly long road trip...1500 miles+/-. Any recommendations for a good comfortable supportive seat?
I'm an average sized guy or at least I like to think I am...5'-10".
My old CJ-7 factory high backs were great back in the day...I was younger then too! So at this moment, I'm looking for a good set that I can install or re-upholster. Currently I have some seats out of a KJ that are OK, but not quite right.

Any aftermarket seats that I should consider?

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
I really love my 94' YJ seats. The vinyl does trap sweat. I have seat covers to relieve a lot of that. To me and the wife they're super comfortable.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I’m currently running the best top trail Max ll pro. I had to modify my seat brackets, by lowering them about 2 inches, and moving them back about the same. But they are super comfortable.

Attachments

• 70A0783F-87A7-4C17-862A-18E4FFC63919.png
    70A0783F-87A7-4C17-862A-18E4FFC63919.png
    263.9 KB · Views: 15

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I've had some Best Top seats in my Jeep probably close to 30 years. Didn't have to modify anything and are pretty comfortable

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Thanks for all the replies! Anybody know if the seats changed between the CJ & YJ?

brp0830

SOA Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Just installed a set of the Corbeau Sport seats in my '84 and LOVE them.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I run the Smittybuilt adjustable seats. They are cheaper than the Bestop's but more supportive in my opinion.

They are a direct bolt in. LINK

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Thanks for all the replies! Anybody know if the seats changed between the CJ & YJ?

I think in 91 the YJ seats got the recline feature, but the early YJ seats were exactly the same as CJ seats.

I haven't found a seat that I like better than the factory seats. They are too high, too low, too much bolster, etc. Only seats I like are OEM.

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
I think in 91 the YJ seats got the recline feature, but the early YJ seats were exactly the same as CJ seats.

I haven't found a seat that I like better than the factory seats. They are too high, too low, too much bolster, etc. Only seats I like are OEM.

I have not tried all the aftermarkets, but I sure did like the stock CJ high backs too!

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
I have mastercraft now and while comfortable they dont fit me as well as the Beard's I had in my CJ-5. Im thinking of going with some PRP seats and replacing my Mastercrafts with ones who fit my shape better. Make you a deal on the mastercrafts if you want them

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I have the best top trail max II seats in my CJ8 and I love them. I'm 6'6" and thin but have some back issues from a ruptured disc. Years ago, my stock CJ8 seats suited me beautifully. Now, I need more support. My best top seats fit the bill and they've held up well thus far.

Attachments

• 20191026_154001.jpg
    20191026_154001.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 67

socrnut

City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Chamba...what type of top is on your Jeep and what roll cage as well. I love that combo (for what I can see in the above post) and am looking to do something like that to mine.

IMG_0548.jpg

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
The bikini is custom. I had Atlantic Marine and upholstery in Vero Beach do it to my design. The front bars are from a 1992 YJ, they attach to the windscreen frame and the factory bar. Then the rear is one of those Rock Hard rear CJ8 family cages. It wouldn't provide too much actual roll protection but it's well suited to my needs.

I like your scrambler, looks great.

brp0830

SOA Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Did you modify your seat brackets?
I ended up going with the Corbeau brackets and LOVE them. I'm 6'5 and they sit much lower then the stock brackets. It's changed the way my jeep rides(for the better). Would recommend 10/10