• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

full hard top made my tires smaller!

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
So I got around to installing the full hardtop last night and mounted it. I have never had a top on the Jeep yet since it was completed last month and I have to admit I am not used to it. I think the top is so big it made the tires look smaller LOL. I haven't driven it with doors or even the back gate yet. I love the room inside but i think it will take some getting used to after living with a CJ5 and soft top forever. I just ordered some add-a-leafs for the rear because the Jeep sags 2 inches with everything installed.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
33x12.50x15. The smaller reference was more just a joke than anything else.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Not a Joke ! I felt the same way! 35's look great with no top, but with the top on mine looks like it needs 37's or larger!

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
It think it might be angle the picture is taken from.
The garage photo is awesome, tires are perfect.
The parking lot photo makes your butt look big :rotfl:
I think the angle of the photo makes the Jeep looks overly long, because you see the tailgate and the rear of the top from that angle, probably wasn't as noticeable without the top on.
:thumbsup:

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I think mine looks out of proportion when I put the full soft top on. :shrug:

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I ordered my add a leafs to get the back end up to level. I think that will help alot. I put on the tailgate and it made the rear look better. I have to run the top now since I plan on bringing the kids to school in it and they don't want their hair messy. Lol.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I have to run the top now since I plan on bringing the kids to school in it and they don't want their hair messy. Lol.

I bet the whole family will appreciate the top in a couple months.

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
You think your tires got small? Look at these 235's. with and without the top. :crazy: I will get bigger tires once I burn these up.

DSC00413.JPG

DSC00799.JPG

Elliott

Basic User
City
Mabank
State
TX
Kane,

Sorry if this is a re-peat ( thought I already sent it, but don't see it ).

I bought a full hard top for my CJ8 also, but haven't installed it yet.

Can you tell me what latches you used, how it was mounted and possibly send pictures?

Thank You in Advance, Todd

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I drilled and bolted just like a stock cj7 top. I do have a glass body so I used special nuts on the body. I do not have any pictures of it but you would just see a bolt. I have not addressed the window mounting yet but I need to because alot of wind is getting through which mean rain will to. I need some thick weather strips and a quick release clamp.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Todd, I happened to have this pic in my phone, which is how my ACME top mounts on the sides. There is also a thread on here of where these can be sourced through a McMaster Carr type catalog IIRC..

b07af4d334d2dbaa949e386a5658b5ca-1.jpg

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I have 30"s on mine, nothing can make these look smaller but tires do look completely different on a 1/2 top. 3" lift

Attachments

• IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 83

Elliott

Basic User
City
Mabank
State
TX
Todd, I happened to have this pic in my phone, which is how my ACME top mounts on the sides. There is also a thread on here of where these can be sourced through a McMaster Carr type catalog IIRC..

b07af4d334d2dbaa949e386a5658b5ca-1.jpg

JerseyJeeps,

Thank You very much for the picture and info on where to buy. I've got some now on order and can't wait to install my top. I did go one further and searched Stainless Steel Pull Action Toggle Clamps after seeing from McMaster Carr what they were called and many different places to buy came up. I wanted to go Stainless Steel for longer lasting.
Thanks Again, Todd

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Todd,
What was the part # and place you ordered them from?

Sent from my SM-J320P

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
Wow that would have been easier than my method with the nutcerts and bolts. Too late now. I just added 2.5 inch add a leafs to the rear last night. I think it helped quite a bit and I really am starting to like it. I need to seal the window area now because the wind is howling through the top. IMG_20160903_232146.jpg20160903_221437.jpg

Elliott

Basic User
City
Mabank
State
TX
Todd,
What was the part # and place you ordered them from?

Sent from my SM-J320P

Hey barrys,

I ordered them from Kinequip Inc.. They have several different types and metals to choose from. I went with what they call " 331-R Pull Action Latch Clamp" stainless steel version. Check out their website. I looked at different web sites and configurations and just said oh well, I'll buy these ( got tired of looking and thought they'd look good in my Jeep) and the price was compatible with other manufacturers. It'll give ya'll another choice any how.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
Regarding the front seal. I ordered a seal and it came as a soft piece of rubber hose. I thought, "well I feel kind of dumb". I could have simply bought some of the same type of hose used for plumbing a radiator to overflow tank. That's all it was essentially. I had the foam type gasket in there but it crushes down and pretty soon the top is rubbing the w/s frame.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
Long story short. I'm the top is now sitting on dollies and the super top is in the mail. I just couldn't get used to that big and heavy top. I don't like how it looks and I want to keep the weight down as much as I can. Plus I prefer the convenience of a soft top. I'm living with a cj5 for 26 years I am partial to them. So if anyone wants a top it is for sale. Lol