• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

full hard vs. full soft top. pros and cons

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I have experienced both soft and hard tops. I have one with a soft top which is very loud on the highway and not good for winter for the reasons Randyzzz explained. If you're in Texas that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I used to run a fiberglass hard top that sounded like being in a drum until I put material on the inside of it and ended up being a lot quieter than the soft top. I also have a Scrambler with the Postal top and it has a/c which is the best setup I've ever had. That top stays on. In my opinion I would run a hard top and take it off in the summer and run a bikini or safari top for shade.

redking11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Two questions.

1. How long can I expect a Best top to last? I hear they get brittle and the windows get cloudy pretty fast - does anyone have experience with this?

2. I hear that the soft tops slowly but continually stretch out so you are always having to tighten them to keep the flapping noise down. Once again, does anyone have an opinion on this?

Many Thanks

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Two questions.

1. How long can I expect a Best top to last? I hear they get brittle and the windows get cloudy pretty fast - does anyone have experience with this?

2. I hear that the soft tops slowly but continually stretch out so you are always having to tighten them to keep the flapping noise down. Once again, does anyone have an opinion on this?

Many Thanks

I've had more of a "shrinkage" situation with past soft tops. As far as longevity, if they are kept clean and the zippers lubed regularly, I would guess 5-8 years.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Soft tops. I think it all depends on what the type of use the top gets and how well it is taken care of. I'm on my second top and it is at least 25 years old. It is very rarely used and mine is garage kept. If it was out in the sun and rain around here it would have died years ago. Been thinking about buying one and storing while still possible for future use.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
Two questions.

Many Thanks

My CJ5 top last 20 years. I take good care of it but the can last.

jmarston

Basic User
City
G
State
FL
I have both and there's no real temperature difference but of course, the soft top is noisier on the highway.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I have not had a full hard top. But I did run a full tiger top for a number of years. It was loud and sagged with rain on the top until I added the third bow. I liked how easy it was to drop and run topless whenever I wanted though. Because I like to run without the top as much as possible.

I swapped that top for a soft half top once the kids stopped needing a back seat. Now I have the soft half top and a hard half top. I use the hard from about late October through March. I find I am hardly using the soft half top and just using a bikini top and soft doors when needed May to October.

I never wanted a full hard top due to the weight and no storage for it. I know I would never take it off.

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
If you have not figured it out the answer is... It depends :) IMO on hot or cold climates, your age and desired use of the Jeep.

I had a soft top on my Jeep for years (in Texas) and love it for its flexibility, but what I did not like is how noisy it is on the highway (no talking on cell phones while driving with the soft top). In my 20's I did not know what wind noise was but now if I take a road trip with my wife and kid, I like not wearing hearing protection.

Now I am on a work assignment in Salt Lake City and I would not want a soft top up here. In the snow you cant clear the windows with a soft top, plastic windows break when they are covered with ice, cant roll up the back window either. A hard top is better. Full Disclosure: I dont drive this Jeep in winter weather up here b/c the salt on the roads.

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
YJ-8, your comment about age made me stop and think. I have my Jeeps the way I want them now with few changes (if that's possible). A few years ago it was no problem changing tops but these days it takes 3 apes and an act of congress to remove a hardtop. A consideration when selecting tops might be how close, and willing, friends are to help you.

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
Yea, with a full length HT, I change tops once per year-- Off in the late spring and back on in mid Fall-- all other times a tarp/cab cover and bikini get the job done.
YJ-8

jjonesee

Jeep Pro
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Houston
State
TX
Full hard tops are cheap in Texas.. Mainly for the ac reason you posted. I bought a Postal top and want to add windows like the top Bugman has. Heck his jeep is why I sought out a postal top..

The STC Full soft top I just sold was a really nice soft top. It is much better than the best top.

Wilder

Basic User
City
Dublin
State
NH
I like the ACME full top for several reasons, but it does takes 3-4 people to lift it off safely. Can anyone see a reason why this Wrangler top removal device wouldn't work on a Scrambler? https://www.topliftpros.com

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I used a hoist for my LJ hard top before I got a Safari Cab and it can likely be made to work with a Scrambler top with some fiddling. All about the balance and adjustability. The one I have has a sliding mounting point for the main eye, so I’d think it could work. Without that, you may have to get a bit creative if the balance isn’t right.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I like the ACME full top for several reasons, but it does takes 3-4 people to lift it off safely. Can anyone see a reason why this Wrangler top removal device wouldn't work on a Scrambler? https://www.topliftpros.com
It says it works on a 4 door JK so in theory it would work on a CJ8. IT may have contours to match the JK roof, though it does not look like it. Reason it might not is they don't mention YJ/TJ/LJ which seems strange because it would expand their buyers market vastly. Calll and ask. Bottom line, looks like it would work. $900+ cost....ouch. pulleys rope, threaded eye bolts, j hooks, padded pipe, etc is a lot cheaper if you have a roof or a suitable tree.

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
[QUOTE So I painted a big white rectangle in the middle of the top. It made a big difference in the inside temp.

View attachment 60595

When you are standing close to the Jeep you can't tell it is painted unless you are real tall, from a distance you can see it.
[/QUOTE]

Great idea and awesome execution!