Full soft top advice

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Any way to make that bow lay down a little and still have the top be tight?
Are you are asking about my blue top? If so, then no. The top was designed to be that crazy high. Honestly I think it's ugly as hell but it is so handy. It's so much easier to move around and I can get a lot more stuff in there than my other Scrambler with the Tigertop. That top I don't care for either. Even with the added third bow it is so flat on top that whenever it rains the water pools up on top. It's really annoying.

Deacon61

Basic User
City
Boca Raton
State
FL
Anyone have pictures of how the Kayline attaches and the holes that need to be drilled for snaps? Im considering a tan kayline but want to see how much damage I have to inflict first. Thanks!

new shoes for the jeep!

Attachments

• 4626E8A7-3DE0-4557-80F9-D6319195181D.jpeg
    4626E8A7-3DE0-4557-80F9-D6319195181D.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 10

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wow, $800 for a Bestop vs $2600 for this brand is a tough pill to swallow. I am sure this is better quality but to be honest I have been running Bestop's my whole Jeep life and never thought they were junk. My CJ-5 Supertop lasted 20 years before I sold the Jeep.
Because if it was that old, it was built before “the change”

Mine for the postal new wouldn’t zip the last 6 inches of the top of the side window. They sent another side window and it was the zipper in the top itself. No reason this shouldn’t have been found at the factory. (Not to mention my whole two-piece/one-piece door saga during which a Bestop customer service person actually said to me “I’m not surprised” when I mentioned the ongoing fitment issues)

The fabric and stitching may be fine, but the quality control is utter garbage.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Agree - i installed one a few years ago for a friend and was shocked at how cheesy the material feels now, clearly they cheapened suppliers and have gone overseas I am sure for it... The bestop made in the mid 90s on my trail Jeep still works as intended, no issues, material is still great. It happens with lots of products, I get it...but yeah...bestop you have failed.

Deacon61

Basic User
City
Boca Raton
State
FL
Agree - i installed one a few years ago for a friend and was shocked at how cheesy the material feels now, clearly they cheapened suppliers and have gone overseas I am sure for it... The bestop made in the mid 90s on my trail Jeep still works as intended, no issues, material is still great. It happens with lots of products, I get it...but yeah...bestop you have failed.
Ok so I’m hearing I should go with kayline or an older best top?

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
I disagree. I'm happy with my Supertop. My Super top fits and works just fine. I did add a third bow to make the rear section more taut. I'm actually surprised how hard you can pull on the zippers and not have a failure. Is it perfect, no.
I wish the material was the thicker sailcloth, but the older Bestop nor the Kayline are sailcloth either. As far as I know only TJ and newer tops are available in sailcloth by Bestop. And of course, the B-dco tops are available in sailcloth but at a very high cost.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Well it was a CJ7 supertop...I am not sure if the CJ8 one uses the same material. It was the black vinyl style and not the denim ish grey/black looking material// like Wranglers... After seeing posts now here maybe the denim material is only avail on the 8...but the 7 they used to offer both.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
How soon are you planning on buying one?

I have one of the first Supertops made (unsure of where it was manufactured) by Bestop still in the box.
My plans/needs have changed and I may consider selling it before I move.
It is buried in my (climate controlled) storage closet, so I would have to dig it out to check the paperwork if you decide to purchase a Supertop and have any interest.

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I was just looking at that BD top. I got kinda excited when I saw it available in blue, but it is only available for use with hard doors 😔 lame. I like the soft doors, more room inside and easier to take off.

Deacon61

Basic User
City
Boca Raton
State
FL
How soon are you planning on buying one?

I have one of the first Supertops made (unsure of where it was manufactured) by Bestop still in the box.
My plans/needs have changed and I may consider selling it before I move.
It is buried in my (climate controlled) storage closet, so I would have to dig it out to check the paperwork if you decide to purchase a Supertop and have any interest.
I’ll send you a PM that may work for me.