• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

GR8TOPS Jeep Jacket - JKU model for full-cage Scramblers

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
(FYI for folks that don't know it, Matt is the owner of this forum, he founded it in 2002 and he owns/runs GR8TOPS - http://www.gr8tops.com)

Forgot to post this... when I was at the sand dunes for Sandblast I got to try out one of Matt's Jeep Jackets made for a JKU on the Postal.

I'd used one of his Scrambler units before and even though it's made for the stock halfcab/rollbar setup, it came pretty close to working on the back end. It was maybe 10" short of covering the bed completely and that never bothered me. I just wanted the seats/cabin to be dry, so it was fine.

Talking to Matt, we figured that the JKU Jeep Jacket might be a good fit for the Scrambler's length and since it's designed for the full "cage" in the JKU, it might be the solution for folks with full cages like mine. So he sent one up and you can see for yourself how it worked out...

First test fit, you just end up with some extra over the rear wheels where the JKU rear doors are and the door opening is completely covered. You just don't need to bother with the flaps for the JKU mirrors because the CJ mirrors sit far enough forward. I may actually try to stitch the flaps closed permanently because cinching down the door flap tended to want to pull the velcro apart, but it's not really a problem, you don't have to pull the straps very tight to keep it from flapping.
IMG_8101 copy.JPG

It got rained on the last day, so it was a true test. Worked perfectly.
IMG_8144 copy.JPG
Here's the amazing bit, the back end is PERFECT length it even goes right around my TnT Customs tire carrier like it was made to fit it! There will be no more issues with a wet bed in the Postal now. There's also no sagging bits where water would collect. Pulling things taught makes it almost drum-tight.
IMG_8099 copy.JPG

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
If your cage really went all the way to the rear corners, it looks like it would be short.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
If your cage really went all the way to the rear corners, it looks like it would be short.

Maybe, would depend on the way they go up, how angled or vertical. But you’re not going to get anything to come closer without going custom or accepting some SUV cover that is way off.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Maybe, would depend on the way they go up, how angled or vertical. But you’re not going to get anything to come closer without going custom or accepting some SUV cover that is way off.

I also would bet it comes behind the c-pillars and you’d just need to leave more slack in the rear straps than I did.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Do you think it works will enough to be a travel cover as well for when the 8 is on the trailer? I've had my full top come loose a couple of times with strong crosswinds while towing.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I would think if nothing else you could install a couple more straps to make it work if needed.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Do you think it works will enough to be a travel cover as well for when the 8 is on the trailer? I've had my full top come loose a couple of times with strong crosswinds while towing.

I’ve towed with my old Scrambler version. There are more and beefier straps than I think are truly needed. I’ve heard of many others doing the same. The way this attaches is MUCH more secure than any soft top IMO.

The straps are also WAY longer than you really need so that you can find the best possible spot to secure them. Also, the way they loop down to the hooks, you can undo them from the buckle and wrap them completely around something, like I did with the rear corners on the Runck bumper in my photos. Realistically, the strap would have to break or come completely loose before it comes off.

Fabric is super heavy as well :)

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
Looking at his website I wonder if the LJU version would work also?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Maybe, Matt thought this was the best option because the cage is more square in the back.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
I like it! Although mine is garaged it's a nice option if it needs to stay outside for extended times.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I’m actually having a custom one made for my tent trailer as it lives outside during the camping season.