• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Grommet between roll bar & seat belt shoulder strap

wesmundy

Basic User
City
San Antonio
State
TX
Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find a new grommet(s) that goes through the hard top where the seat belt shoulder strap connects to the roll bar? Or suggestions of something that will work if the grommet isn't available anymore?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Someone here was making them a while ago. I know there are a few threads about it. Good luck.

schmied

Basic User
City
menifee
State
ca
send me your address and i will ship you some out...

Scott,
How much are the grommets? Any advice for how and where to drill on the roll bar? Just bought my '85 Scrambler and it had no roll bar. Ended up getting one off of an '81 Scrambler which had no holes.
Any advice?
Thanks!

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Fyi. There are a few threads here on adding seat belt mounting points. The reason I mention the other threads is because there is a lot of good info about how to add the mounting point without compromising the strength of the roll bar. Good luck. And congrats on your purchase and welcome to the best site on the internet.

Here are some pics I took for one to show where the stock location is.

8f0ff30e-1.jpg

This is to show where I was measuring from.

f80acee0-1.jpg

Dain

Last edited:

schmied

Basic User
City
menifee
State
ca
Fyi. There are a few threads here on adding seat belt mounting points. The reason I mention the other threads is because there is a lot of good info about how to add the mounting point without compromising the strength of the roll bar. Good luck. And congrats on your purchase and welcome to the best site on the internet.

Here are some pics I took for one to show where the stock location is.

8f0ff30e-1.jpg

This is to show where I was measuring from.

f80acee0-1.jpg

Dain

Dain,
Thanks a million for the advice and photos! They will definitely come in handy. I feel like a little kid again with my "new" Scrambler. It's been my dream for years now and finally got one!!!! I'll put up some photos in a bit.
Thanks again!

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Good luck. Some people have welded a tube through the rollbar. Others have cut a square with the receiving nut on it. The square section had the same curvature as the inner diameter of the rollbar. Then fished it into place through a hole in the marked location, but accessed using a big square cut out near the bottom of the rollbar that was welded back into place once done. Elaborate but it worked. Like I said, if you find the threads, you will see what I am talking about. Again, good luck with your "new" Scrambler.

skiptown

CJ-8 Member
City
Madison
State
WI
I have an 81 so I bought a 83 roll bar to do the shoulder strap thing... does anyone have a set of shoulder belts for sale? Or know where I can buy a set

Thanks

Fred

dubs1856

Legacy Registered User
City
San Marcos
State
Ca
If you have any more of the gromets I would love a set and don't mind paying for them.

scott anderson

Old age Mutant Ninjaneer
City
Paragould
State
ar
all i charge is shipping...6 bucks usps priority mail

send me your address and i will get a set out to you

Scott,
How much are the grommets? Any advice for how and where to drill on the roll bar? Just bought my '85 Scrambler and it had no roll bar. Ended up getting one off of an '81 Scrambler which had no holes.
Any advice?
Thanks!

dubs1856

Legacy Registered User
City
San Marcos
State
Ca
send me your address...all i want is to cover the shipping...6 bucks.

The bolts you sent appear to be larger than the holes in my roll bar. Should I drill and tap the roll bar threads to fit the new larger bolts or am I missing something here? By no means am I complaining or ungrateful, I just want to make sure I don't screw something up.

scott anderson

Old age Mutant Ninjaneer
City
Paragould
State
ar
All of them that I have seen use 1/2-20 bolts...it is possible yours were added by someone...take a pic and we can all look at them and see what is up.

The bolts you sent appear to be larger than the holes in my roll bar. Should I drill and tap the roll bar threads to fit the new larger bolts or am I missing something here? By no means am I complaining or ungrateful, I just want to make sure I don't screw something up.