• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Half door identification

tx gyrene

Legacy Registered User
City
Hallettsville
State
Tx
Do half doors from a YJ or TJ have any identifying marks that will link them to a year of manufacture on the exterior or interior of the door? I am trying to mount them onto my '82 Scrambler and I am looking for stainless steel hinges of the proper size. I bought them so long ago in Austin, Texas and cannot remember the year the parts guy said they were made. My wife said that she attributes that to me having CRS disease like when it comes to remembering birthdays and anniversaries, or something she said 5 minutes ago. Maybe it was yesterday for all I know!

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I believe that the latch is different on the YJ door from the TJ door. CJ/YJ tubs have the stubby striker post that has a tendency to catch belt loops whereas the TJ has the round stock loop.......I think, much like you I don't remember well

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
The inside door release handle is in a different location for the YJ and TJ.

YJ is located towards the front at a higher elevation than the inside door pull handle.
The TJ is just forward of the inside door pull at the same elevation.

That being said... the hinges should be the same.

tx gyrene

Legacy Registered User
City
Hallettsville
State
Tx
Thanks to all who replied! I really appreciate the info! Again, thank you

TXJEEP

Legacy Registered User
City
Copper Canyon
State
TX
In case your half doors do not have locks, they are early YJ.

tx gyrene

Legacy Registered User
City
Hallettsville
State
Tx
TXJEEP- Thank you for your reply to help me identify the doors. Mine have locks. Again, thank you!