• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Half Hard Top Seat Belt Holes

finorman

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
ORLANDO
State
FL
Can someone take some pictures of the holes in the hard top for the shoulder seat belts and give me some dimensions for size and location? I have the grommets that are utilized, and I thought the way set was created was a 1 and 1/4 inch hole with the grommet fitting in the hole and the seat belt attached to the roll bar. But then I saw a post which stated the hole in the top only had to be large enough to accommodate the hole for the bolt for the seat belt, leaving me to the think the the grommet was actually on the outside of the top and snug on the roll bar.

If it helps there is about a half inch of space between the roll bar and the cab.

thanks,
frankIMG_0984.JPG

b2esq

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Glen Allen
State
VA
The holes in my hardtop are badly "wobbled," and so I can't provide precise measurements. I can, however, say that picture 2 is the correct layout (except that you're missing the washer that goes on the inside of the top (and under the actual belt mount)).

B2

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Can someone take some pictures of the holes in the hard top for the shoulder seat belts and give me some dimensions for size and location? I have the grommets that are utilized, and I thought the way set was created was a 1 and 1/4 inch hole with the grommet fitting in the hole and the seat belt attached to the roll bar. But then I saw a post which stated the hole in the top only had to be large enough to accommodate the hole for the bolt for the seat belt, leaving me to the think the the grommet was actually on the outside of the top and snug on the roll bar.

If it helps there is about a half inch of space between the roll bar and the cab.

thanks,
frank

Frank, Sorry, no pics, my phone is dead.

The holes in mine are ~ 1-5/16" diameter.
From the exterior of the top:
They are ~ 17-1/16" up from the bottom flat edge of the top (just inside where it curves down to side of tub) to centerline of hole.
The holes are ~ 50-3/8" apart from each other, centerline to centerline.
I searched a bit for the grommets, but my shed is a mess. :banghead:

finorman

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
ORLANDO
State
FL
Thank you that helps. this is what I currently have... the grommet is round, but doesn't completely fill in the space behind the cab.

Attachments

• IMG_0998.JPG
    IMG_0998.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0999.JPG
    IMG_0999.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1001.JPG
    IMG_1001.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 51

finorman

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
ORLANDO
State
FL
this is another Grommet I found on ebay. The shape is different... which one do I need, or does it matter?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 8.46.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 8.46.01 PM.png
    182.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 8.44.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 8.44.36 PM.png
    120 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 8.44.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 8.44.57 PM.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 37

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
The grommets I have fit in the hole of the 1/2 top. When you tighten up the bolt, they expand a little to fill in the hole. The grommets you have do not look to be factory. They may be shock absorber bushings which some people have used as replacements. The exterior bushings that are on eBay are not a factory style from my understanding. I first saw that style when I purchased a roll bar from an 84 Scrambler that had a pair. Jersey was the only one I knew that had seen that type before. He informed me they were not a factory item although they may work well.

finorman

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
ORLANDO
State
FL
The grommets I have fit in the hole of the 1/2 top. When you tighten up the bolt, they expand a little to fill in the hole. The grommets you have do not look to be factory. They may be shock absorber bushings which some people have used as replacements. The exterior bushings that are on eBay are not a factory style from my understanding. I first saw that style when I purchased a roll bar from an 84 Scrambler that had a pair. Jersey was the only one I knew that had seen that type before. He informed me they were not a factory item although they may work well.
Thanks... this helps. do you happen to have a picture of how your grommet fits through?

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
this is another Grommet I found on ebay. The shape is different... which one do I need, or does it matter?
Do you have a link for these? I'm looking for something for when I install shoulder belts.

b2esq

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Glen Allen
State
VA
The ebay grommets are the "correct" ones (they are permanently attached to the roll bar by what appear to be rivets or at least pins).

-edit- looking a little closer, these seem to be reproduction... which would actually be kind of cool...

The other pictures are of a shock bushing. If you search around, you'll find a lot fo references to people using a specific Monroe bushing set (and hardware) to replace OEM. IIRC, the idea that that the bushings are on either side of the top, with the washers/discs on the outer side of the bushings (one next to the roll bar, one next to the seat belt mount). I've got no personal experience with this setup and so can't speak for it, but it's often recommended for people who are doing exactly what you're trying to do.

B2

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
The exterior bushings that are on eBay are not a factory style from my understanding. I first saw that style when I purchased a roll bar from an 84 Scrambler that had a pair. Jersey was the only one I knew that had seen that type before. He informed me they were not a factory item although they may work well.
What I find interesting is the Jeep parts diagram shows the "cup" attached to the roll bar with rivets. It even has a part #, J576 2134.
I checked my '83 roll bar, no cups and no rivet mounting holes. Still haven't found the factory bushings.:banghead:

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
I have attached a photo of the exterior cup/bushing/spacer on the roll bar I purchased. It is held on by plastic plugs. The item is made out of some type of rubber. It is interesting that it is the Jeep parts catalog.

Roll bar spacer.JPG

b2esq

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Glen Allen
State
VA
Dusting this thread off for a minute...

1) Is there any hardware/washers on the outside of the top? Or does the grommet meet the exterior of the top directly?

2) Can someone please post a picture (or diagram, or point me to the FSM location) for the “correct” seat belt hardware? (Mine is different between the sides — and to quote Mark Knopfler “When two men say they’re Jesus, one of them must be wrong.”

3) Pic of the actual hardtop hole would be nice, too...

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
Couple of photos how the bushings are installed in a hard top on a late model Scrambler. 1st photo is of the outside between hard top and roll bar. 2nd is inside of the hard top.

Attachments

• 351BAF68-A80E-44C4-835D-1F7527945206.jpeg
    351BAF68-A80E-44C4-835D-1F7527945206.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 55
  • D2C42856-ACBF-4D9A-86A0-E11EFB90681C.jpeg
    D2C42856-ACBF-4D9A-86A0-E11EFB90681C.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 56