• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Headlight and Indicator Light Issue

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I replaced my headlights over a year ago with KC Light direct replacements. At the time I had a couple of problems with the grounding. I fixed that issue and had functioning headlights, both high and low beams. I also replaced the bulbs in the indicator lights all around. Everything was seeming working somewhat fine. I had (and still have) an issue of when the headlights are on, the front indicator/parking lights won't flash when I put the turn signal on. The side turn signals flash, but not the front. Also, after trying to align the lights in the light buckets, I don't have low beams. The high beams work just fine, just no the low beams.

Any ideas on some things to look at?

I wonder if I am shorting out the low beams with the headlight buckets somehow, but I don't know.

None of that explains why the front amber lights don't blink when the headlights are turned on.

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
I'm not familiar with the KC direct replacements- are these like the standard sealed beam headlights and utilize the oem harness connections? Also, I'm curious, are you still running the incandescent bulbs in your indicators or did you by chance upgrade to LEDs? As for the low beams, any sign of a short on the floor switch? Providing your grounds are solid, I'm grasping for ideas as well-

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I'm not familiar with the KC direct replacements- are these like the standard sealed beam headlights and utilize the oem harness connections? Also, I'm curious, are you still running the incandescent bulbs in your indicators or did you by chance upgrade to LEDs? As for the low beams, any sign of a short on the floor switch? Providing your grounds are solid, I'm grasping for ideas as well-

Yeah, the KC's are direct sealed beam headlight replacements that use the existing connectors. They are halogen bulbs I believe. The rest of the bulbs are standard incandescent.

No issues with the floor switch. As I mentioned before, the high beams work great.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Yeah, the KC's are direct sealed beam headlight replacements that use the existing connectors. They are halogen bulbs I believe. The rest of the bulbs are standard incandescent.

No issues with the floor switch. As I mentioned before, the high beams work great.

Well, I got a chance to look into the headlight issue and this is what I found.
20201007_111727.jpg

20201007_111804.jpg

I had a definite issue with the switch. The low beam side was completely rusted out.

A cheap Chinese replacement later, and I am back up and running with the high and low beams.

I am going to look for a better switch eventually, but for now, the Chinese one works fine.

I am still not sure about the turn signal issue. I need to do some more research on that one.

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
Glad you identified the issue with your floor switch! (y) I like the problems that are easy to see :)

In all honesty, I'm not a big fan of the way the original headlight wiring is configured, with running all the power for the headlights through the light switch and the hi/lo switch. I suffered a short that ended up melting the harness plug connector on both of those - :oops:. I went back in with a relay system to directly feed battery power to the headlights (~$35), and holy smokes, it made an incredible difference even for the standard sealed-glass halogen bulbs, plus the reduced power load through the switches gives some peace of mind. Although I'd considered an upgrade similar to yours, the brightness I have now made it unnecessary. 8-)

As for the blinkers, have you tried changing the flashers?

Last edited:

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I am with hoover about the harness and relays. I did that on my 1st scrambler 25 years ago. WOW they difference it made in brightness and that was back then when plain old halogens where the best bulbs you could get and you could still buy non halogen bulbs.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Glad you identified the issue with your floor switch! (y) I like the problems that are easy to see :)

In all honesty, I'm not a big fan of the way the original headlight wiring is configured, with running all the power for the headlights through the light switch and the hi/lo switch. I suffered a short that ended up melting the harness plug connector on both of those - :oops:. I went back in with a relay system to directly feed battery power to the headlights (~$35), and holy smokes, it made an incredible difference even for the standard sealed-glass halogen bulbs, plus the reduced power load through the switches gives some peace of mind. Although I'd considered an upgrade similar to yours, the brightness I have now made it unnecessary. 8-)

As for the blinkers, have you tried changing the flashers?

The blinkers flash just fine when the headlights are not on. When the headlights come on, the marker lights in the front don't blink. The side lights still blink though.

It isn't really that big of a deal, but it is annoying that it doesn't work like I think it should.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
By chance do you have LED signal lamps? The change in polarity when headlights are on can cause some LEDs to not work correctly.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
The blinkers flash just fine when the headlights are not on. When the headlights come on, the marker lights in the front don't blink. The side lights still blink though.

It isn't really that big of a deal, but it is annoying that it doesn't work like I think it should.
You may want to check your grounds on the front park/turn housings.
Maybe run a temporary ground directly from the battery as a test.

Trevor Davidson

City
Kitchener
State
On
I had a similar experience,front indicators would not flash with headlights on ended up one of the indicators connectors was wired backwards from crown swapped wires in connectors now all is good but also added dedicated grounds to front indicators.
Here’s a couple threads I pulled when trying to solve my issue

Attachments

• 7DC812C9-49FD-4BC4-BF2C-3892DF7DF6E9.jpeg
    7DC812C9-49FD-4BC4-BF2C-3892DF7DF6E9.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 8AED3425-C92D-4528-885A-AC802862E6BF.jpeg
    8AED3425-C92D-4528-885A-AC802862E6BF.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 20
  • ED3A2B8A-DF81-4920-BBC7-5BC79128F670.jpeg
    ED3A2B8A-DF81-4920-BBC7-5BC79128F670.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 14
  • CEB875F5-68B3-4A73-A387-ECF1935E8C3D.jpeg
    CEB875F5-68B3-4A73-A387-ECF1935E8C3D.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 17
  • E9F5EC05-0EC8-46B9-B9C3-5A0F52C4D4BB.jpeg
    E9F5EC05-0EC8-46B9-B9C3-5A0F52C4D4BB.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 18
  • AE18186C-4A08-416B-9BB1-044C0DDFC957.jpeg
    AE18186C-4A08-416B-9BB1-044C0DDFC957.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 094B5D2D-0D3D-43F2-BB6F-15662E47C31D.jpeg
    094B5D2D-0D3D-43F2-BB6F-15662E47C31D.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 19

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
^^ That's very helpful, thank you! :thumbsup:

I've had a similar problem for years, but only on the left side.

I've mostly just been ignoring it, because I rarely drive at night, and everything works fine with the headlights off.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I had a similar experience,front indicators would not flash with headlights on ended up one of the indicators connectors was wired backwards from crown swapped wires in connectors now all is good but also added dedicated grounds to front indicators.
Here’s a couple threads I pulled when trying to solve my issue

Awesome! I am going to have to look into this a little more, but this definitely helps!

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
By chance do you have LED signal lamps? The change in polarity when headlights are on can cause some LEDs to not work correctly.

No LED's on the jeep. Grounds for the headlights have been checked and redone and are good.

Olin

Basic User
City
Williston
State
ND
Hi Spieg,

I put LED bulbs in my front running/signal lights. Since then my turn signal indicator lights on the dash come on when I turn on the headlights and stay on, except when blinking for a turn!

I could live with it, though I guess the indicator lights on the dash will burn out faster than they would have otherwise, but is there a fix?

I've changed the blinker unit to one that is recommended for my LED taillights (which are sitting offshore in a container someplace) but that didn't change anything.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
No fix that I know of that doesn't require rewiring the front circuit.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I have led lights everywhere on my 8 but had to stick with incandescent there as it drove me mad. I tried ballast resisters too but to no avail.

Olin

Basic User
City
Williston
State
ND
Darn. Let's see how long I can stand to see the dash indicator lights on...

Getting pretty cold here in the north. If I'm only out on sunny days it won't be an issue these next few months!