joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
Barney sent the replacement quickly. Unfortunately, it appeared to be very dimensionally similar to the first one. I installed it anyway last weekend. It still projects from the tub like the first one did. That said, it seems to fit a little better. I contacted Barney and sent him pics. He said he would talk to the mfr. and get back to me. I have spoken to him about this issue several times on the phone and he seems genuinely interested in trying to solve the problem- he has been a great vendor to work with. Attached are pics of the second one installed. The last pic, shows the second cowl seal compared to my original

After installing, I washed the jeep and this seal does keep water out. I am wondering if the projection is designed as a drip edge to keep water from wicking back under the tub. I still don't know if sealant should be used in the the grove where the windshield inserts. That stayed dry, so I am thinking I will not use sealant.

One other tip: When I got the the second cowl seal I unrolled it and let it relax on my workbench for a few days before installing. This allowed it to lay flat on it's own. The first one I uncoiled out of the packaging and installed right away. I suspect this may have something to do with the better results. Cowl Seal No 2-1.jpg Cowl Seal No 2-2.jpg Cowl Seal No 2-3.jpg Cowl Seal No 2-5.jpg

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
As a follow up to this, Barney did some more research and ended up saying the second one he sent was the best he could offer. I think it fits good enough. I drove the jeep in the rain the other day since my DD was in the shop. After pulling it into the garage I checked and there was a small amount of water trapped between the cowl seal and the bottom of the windshield. Easy enough to dry it with a rag. Some reccomend using sealant at this joint. That seems like it could create its own problems. I'd be concerned about water sitting in there and rusting the windshield frame if the jeep was not garaged or driven in the rain frequently. Since it's not, I am leaving it as and moving on to the next project...