• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Help With New Wheels

FudgieB

City
Tampa
State
FL
So this is my first post, I've owned my CJ-8 for about 18 months now and it looks about how it did the day it came off the transport. Which really isn't so bad, but has been a few things I wanted to change and seeing that I have this extra time on my hands, now is the time. The chrome on the wheels is starting to flake, they are vintage style but aftermarket I believe. Not a huge fan of the chrome and I want to replace them. I was thinking about going up to a 16x8. American Racing AR1726885B Baja Series 172 was what I have been thinking but I am worried about the 4.5 backspacing with 0 offset. My questions is does anyone have experience with these wheels. Was thinking 32x11.5 or may a 33/12.5 tire combo but trying to figure out the wheels first. Open to other options. Not really sure the benefit or if it's even worth the hassle of going with a 16 over a 15. I'll apologize in advance if this is a dumb question or if it has already been answered elsewhere.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Does your jeep have narrow track or wide track axles? That backspacing isn't ideal as it will narrow the jeep a little more.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Welcome! First off, we need pictures!

16” wheels are great but you are discovering the drawback of modern sizing. Most 16” have more backspacing- tucking the wheel inside more. Not a bad thing, but you might lose turning radius or the wheels might rub on your tie rods. I would have a local shop bolt up a similarly sized bare wheel and check clearances first.

FudgieB

City
Tampa
State
FL
It is an 83, so has to be WT, I'm pretty sure. I should ask how would I be able to verify though. I have been doing my reading, and so it is my understand that the OEM 15x7 had a 3.5 backspacing and there was some 15x8 which had 4 backspacing. My concern is with rubbing and reducing turning radius. I'm not sure what has convinced me that going up to a 16 wheel would be more beneficial.

Here are a couple quick pics
IMG_7404.jpg
IMG_7418.JPGIMG_7413.JPG

Need to fill that wheel well gap

FudgieB

City
Tampa
State
FL
Here is a closer look at the current wheels and the chrome flaking off:

Attachments

• IMG_5213.jpg
    IMG_5213.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5214.jpg
    IMG_5214.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 6

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Beautiful Scrambler!

16" tires are usually a "big truck" load range, 10 ply rating, and give a stiffer ride. Unless you just want 16" wheels, I would stick with 15"s. The tires are a lot cheaper and anything is available, just 35" and under.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Won’t have this issue with steel wheels...but some of the modern aluminum wheels are much thicker face and will require longer lugs....