• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Holy mother of repairs!

Bollocky

Devoted Scrambler
City
Charlotte Area
State
NC
Hey guys! After a 673 mile drive and a week of 4wheeling here in NC I felt a little vibration so I took the jeep to a local shop to get it inspected and get an estimate on what it would cost to fix her up. Well, after looking it over and telling me the whole time that I'm going to die driving it this is what he came up with as far as parts that needed to be replaced:

Ball Joints
Axel Joints
Tie rod & Ends
Drag Link & Ends
Steering Stab. Bar, mounts, and bushings
Trans. Mount
Rear Diff. Bearings
U-Joints in Rear Shaft
Wheel Bearings need to be serviced
Engine wiring either needs to be replaced or I need to install a Halon System under the hood.

And that's just the essential stuff! The front shaft and diff. needs work too, and new wheel cylanders, possibly a new master cylander! WOW!

Scott Mine

Legacy Registered User
City
Arnaudville
State
LA
Yep

I would have said the same thing.

I think he wants to sell you another Jeep. Sure hope you can work on that stuff yourself otherwise most local shops here cost you your first born child. LOL!!!!! Then they start taking arms and legs afterwards.

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Time to buy a manual and some tools...you're gonna get bent *way* over on that repair bill.

Kaiser8

Designer
City
Aurora
State
IL
Bollocky said:
Hey guys! After a 673 mile drive and a week of 4wheeling here in NC I felt a little vibration so I took the jeep to a local shop to get it inspected and get an estimate on what it would cost to fix her up. Well, after looking it over and telling me the whole time that I'm going to die driving it this is what he came up with as far as parts that needed to be replaced:

Ball Joints
Axel Joints
Tie rod & Ends
Drag Link & Ends
Trans. Mount
Rear Diff. Bearings
U-Joints in Rear Shaft
Engine wiring either needs to be replaced or I need to install a Halon System under the hood.

And that's just the essential stuff! The front shaft and diff. needs work too, and new wheel cylanders, possibly a new master cylander! WOW!

And this shocks you why?? These are all normal wear items on a vehicle pushing 25 years old. Parts don't last forever.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
mtruckstuff said:

Is that one much more detailed/helpful than a Haynes or Chiltons? I've got both of those and have only ever come up lacking for random torque ratings every so often... I'll happily add this to the library if it's better than those old standbys.

On the repairs, I bet that your attitude/comments/request when you went in have a TON to do with the list of things that they came up with. They probably came up with at least 3/4 of those items simply by noting that it was a 20 y.o. CJ and the fact that you have it at a shop for "vibration".

I'm not commenting on your taking it to a shop as much as the attitude of the mechanics when they see a vehicle that old. That's a pretty good start of the list of everything that should be done to a Scrambler with an unknown maintenance history.

You can take care of everything on that list (the way you fix the wiring is the most interesting issue) yourself with basic tools, a vice and loaner tools from the parts store in your driveway with a good repair manual or even searching on here.

The diff bearings could be done by taking the diff out and taking it to the shop for them to swap bearings and will cost a lot less than if they have to pull everything themselves to get to them. You'd do them at the same time as you're replacing the front axle u-joints because you are pulling the shafts for that anyhow.

If you could get someone over to help who knows CJs, you could do the following all in a day with a little planning:

One day:
Ball Joints
Axle Joints
Tie rod & Ends
Drag Link & Ends

Another day:
Trans. Mount
Rear Diff. Bearings
U-Joints in Rear Shaft

If you really got after it you could probably knock it all out in a day. Especially if there were two of you working on it together.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Also, on the steering setup, you ought to look at the Big Daddy HD setup. It replaces all of the steering/joints with a nice HD setup and won't cost much more than stock replacments.

http://www.goferitoffroad.com has it (look at "other products" page) and is run by a great guy that I know personally. Big plus with him is that he's in the same building as Big Daddy and will be the fastest to deal with any issues you might have. Guy's name is Sheldon, mention that Eric with the Postal told you to call :D

He's in Winston-Salem too, so good NC guy.

mtruckstuff

Back Home in Colorado
City
Loveland
State
CO
bigwalton said:
Is that one much more detailed/helpful than a Haynes or Chiltons? I've got both of those and have only ever come up lacking for random torque ratings every so often... I'll happily add this to the library if it's better than those old standbys.

This book lands somewhere between the "Factory" manual and Haynes/Chilton. It's well written, loaded with good pix and detailed instruction. It's probably more useful for those with less actual hands-on experience. I find it far more useful than H and C.

Go to a bookstore and leaf through one before you buy and decide if it's useful.

Paul

Ironwood

Basic User
City
Hells Kitchen
State
IL
Forget the Halon system, that stuff is quickly going the way of other extinct species. Although if you can find the parts, I can fill the cylinder for you.:D

Fortunately, there are several other great fire suppression agents out now that have replaced Halon, though I'd have to check and see who has them available for vehicle systems.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
What about just setting up your CO2 tank to flood the engine compartment if you have a fire.

I had been wondering about that. Should make a good system to deprive the fire of Oxyagen and cool oof the area to lessen the chance of a restart.

Carl

83scrambler

You call her scrambledegg
City
Indianapolis
State
IN
giving up the first born kills two birds... more money for the Jeep, and more money for the Jeep

Jimbob

Basic User
City
Germantown
State
MD
Thats nothing! All of the things the casual non "Jeeper" CJ owner never replaced. However, the question is does it need done now. I would ask him to prioritize relative to your safety.

My wiring was ok but everything you listes short of the differential bearings need was servicable but worn when I inspected them.

Secret is that you can do almost all of that except maybe the carrier bearings and the parts are not that pricey!

Wait till you have to do a tub or an entire powertrain.

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
I will re-post my "cheat sheet" of what I try to do when I look at an old vehicle:

https://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread...ht=axle+joints

Check (replace if you can afford it)
tie rod ends
ball joints
wheel bearings (front and rear)
universal joints
axle joints
brake rotors
brake calipers
brake pads
wheel drums
wheel cylinders
brake shoes (with hardware)
belts
hoses
complete tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, pcv, etc)
tires
shocks
flush radiator
alignment
drain/refill axles
drain/refill transfer case
drain/refill transmission
oil, oil, oil...

Remember, these are all wear items and the rig is 20+ years old. This will take care of the main stuff right off. It will help ensure you have a good base to start from (good steering good stopping good control). Then the only real suprises will be along the lines of a major uncontrolable (water pump failure, alternator failure, starter failure, clutch failure, master cylinder failure, steering box failure, motor failure, etc.).

Small upgrades that I have found keep it running smoothly include a DUI (or equivalent) ignition upgrade and Weber 32/36 carburetor. These legally eliminate the problematic emissions system and increase performance with savings in MPG...
Edit/Delete Message

Zodiac

CJ-8 Member
City
Macomb
State
MO
I realize I'm resurrecting the dead with this post, but I haven't been here for several years... cut me a tiny bit o slack. ;)

My suggestion?

YOU'VE BEEN WHEELING ALL WEEKEND WITH YOUR TIRES AIRED DOWN. GO GET YOUR WHEELS BALANCED.

It's a proven fact that when you wheel with your tires aired down, your tires WILL slip *UNLESS* you have beadlocks, and even then they may anyway. Want proof? Take a grease pencil, mark your rim and tire in the same spot. Now, air down to your normal range, and go for a day of wheeling. Chances are, when you finish, those marks will be slightly to OMYGAWD off.
So: Go get your tires balanced. Vibration issue is gone.
Now, whether or not those other things ACTUALLY need to be done depends on whether YOU have done them or not. If you have, in the span of life the vehicle has spent with you, then it probably doesn't (but could bear to be checked). If you've never hoisted a wrench to your beloved since you bought her, then it's time to start- that mechanic is lubing up his ... er, HOIST to teach you a lesson you'll never forget- namely, it's always cheaper to learn how to do your own work.
If you do need that work done, get down to it. The only thing you learn when you take your vehicle to a shop is how fast they can deplete your wallet. ;)

madjp62

Legacy Registered User
City
albany
State
or
one step at a time.

ok,looks very over whelming but break it down by priority(ya my spelling is the bomb). look at each of them.
(1) yes i would have to say TIE RODS would fix first.how do they look,is there slop in them?they could kill you if they fail. sorry dont mean to scare you.
the shop told my sister that her sterring stab was bad and must be changed
right away.i told her to get a second opion i live 2000 miles away.she did and they found a front tire with a broken steelbelt on it+fixed.
now you have a list of things needing fixed now make a plan and figure in which order to takle it.you cant fight a whole team but one at a time you can.
time to step off the soapbox. the floor is open again.

mtruckstuff

Back Home in Colorado
City
Loveland
State
CO
I'm guessing the author of this thread has long since "paid the piper". it's been three weeks without reply. Another case of all of us just yammering on.:rolleyes:
Paul

Boomer

Iron Bender
City
Snohomish
State
WA
Regardless, there is a lot of good information being provided for the next guy who finds himself with these problems.

mtruckstuff

Back Home in Colorado
City
Loveland
State
CO
Hmmmm.............Good is subject to debate. Just because it's stated here does not necessarily mean it's accurate.

A label should be attached, saying:

"Advice and expertise expressed here should always be taken with a grain of salt and researched thoroughly before use."

Except mine, of course! LOL

Paul