• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Interesting rear bumper idea

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Cruising FBook and saw an interesting rear bumper idea. It looks like a TJ bumper. And it doesn’t look bad…obviously not on a restoration but on a resto-mod maybe. It keeps the Scrambler end cap look but follows the body curves. If you took a couple inches out of the middle of the bumper so the caps didn’t stick out so far…Thoughts? 352FFF7F-5EE2-47D6-9229-862672B9D2A8.pngHere’s the whole Jeep-
86C17029-9CBB-48E3-A707-E90B15293ED5.jpeg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Right away that whole thing screamed more of a "Limited" feel to me... color coded rims, bumper, Jeep... gotta see if they did the steering column as well.

cb

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Obviously if one likes that look go for it. But I don't think it does anything for the look. I also don't think the TJ mirrors look right. But that's just me. At least they didn't do the TJ fender flares.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Obviously if one likes that look go for it. But I don't think it does anything for the look. I also don't think the TJ mirrors look right. But that's just me. At least they didn't do the TJ fender flares.
While the TJ mirrors may not look the part, they work great. Had them on Copper and putting them on Red. But then both those builds are anything but stock. They would look really out of place if everything else was stock.
I will agree wholeheartedly on the TJ flare swap. That just looks wrong IMHO.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
It just looks half-done to me. If you're going to do something like that I think you could do it well if you did it right. A steering column mounted tachometer? Not only does Jeep make a factory - mounted tach but it would look more the part while maintaining some of its roots.

It is a very nice build and obviously the owner takes great pride in it (and well he should). But why the different shades of tan for the interior? I could see how he thinks the windshield knobs look good tan (in this application) but why not keep them straight since they now stick out?

Centre console is... interesting; looks like it may interfere with the transfer case shifter (can the driver even see the shifter,?). But then I guess it helps the bright tan air con unit blend in a bit.....

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
One option would be to modify @Kim Dawson end caps to fit a TJ rear bumper. Or TJ rear bumper could be finished with an end cap like below and might be right length without cutting. For a restomod options are limited by budget and imagination.
012B113F-97A1-4AE3-810F-815351C3F0B4.jpeg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
One option would be to modify @Kim Dawson end caps to fit a TJ rear bumper. Or TJ rear bumper could be finished with an end cap like below and might be right length without cutting. For a restomod options are limited by budget and imagination.
View attachment 95279
I was thinking 2006 LJ metal ends that are a sharper taper.
Was looking at my 06 last night to see how it would go on the Scrambler.
If I was going to do this, I would have cut the crossmember down a bit and really tucked the plastic ends so they were more flush I guess... the profile makes it stick out a bit as well so I think somehow tucking it towards the Jeep as well would be needed.

I sound like one of those car show guys that want to move the bumpers in on old muscle cars, but I think I understand more now that I took some time to see it all.

cb

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
While the TJ mirrors may not look the part, they work great. Had them on Copper and putting them on Red. But then both those builds are anything but stock. They would look really out of place if everything else was stock.
I will agree wholeheartedly on the TJ flare swap. That just looks wrong IMHO.
I never liked the idea of mounting rear view mirrors to the doors because if/when you pull the doors you have no mirrors. For safety and legality I like to at least have the driver side mirror.

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
IMO TJ bumpers look good on a TJ only. If it were mine, would try to find a Jeep step bumper, bumperettes or an aftermarket like Hanson.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
IMO TJ bumpers look good on a TJ only. If it were mine, would try to find a Jeep step bumper, bumperettes or an aftermarket like Hanson.
I am going with an aftermarket on mine- I just saw the picture and thought “That doesn’t look half bad”.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I never liked the idea of mounting rear view mirrors to the doors because if/when you pull the doors you have no mirrors. For safety and legality I like to at least have the driver side mirror.
It is a pain. On Copper I had some secondary mirrors that mounted on the two upper hinge screws on each side. Don’t know what I’ll do on Red.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I have YJ mirrors with brackets to relocate to the windshield hinges.
Obviously not stock.