• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Interior sound quality

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
Still planning things out (won't probably start turning wrenches for a few more weeks). I know these are Jeeps and not going to sound like Carnegie Hall or anything; but, what do people typically do in regard to half-cab soundproofing? There aren't a lot of surfaces. Is it even worth messing with???

I am divided on carpet vs bedliner. If I do carpet then obviously I could place some under the carpet.

I don't think it would look good (or be easily covered) on the bulkhead.

Half doors so some on the inside of the door.

Firewall?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I have used products like DynaMat with success, the only drawbacks are the possibility of water getting between the product and the sheetmetal causing rust, and the hideous appearance of the installed product. Once I get started on my red Scrambler, I'm going to go with Lizard Skin or a similar product. It supposedly has the sound damping properties of DynaMat, but sprays on like bedliner and can be painted. I have heard many horror stories of bedliner promoting rust between the metal and the liner- I believe with proper preparation and careful installation of accessories this is a non-issue. I'm talking epoxy primer with automotive paint first, then the liner, and mask off or spacer the spots where seat bases/etc will be bolted through. I think this is a main cause of liner delamination and rust- when something is bolted to a liner covered surface, the liner is compressed and "blisters", allowing water an access point and a foothold for rust to spread.

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
I have had really good success with an inexpensive asphalt/foil based weather shield from Lowes. But, like you said, not something you want to be looking at (under carpet, behind panels, etc).

You touched on one of my next posts...bedliner... Great minds.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
I went with carpet. Definately reduces road noise, but it is a pain to keep clean and dry. If I had to do it over, I'd put some liner followed by outdoor or "boat" carpet for the easy clean up.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I just received my Carpet order from Custom Interiors and I couldn't be happier. The molded carpet fit every curve perfect. It has a rubber backing and I have the extra insulation. In about 1 hour I had it installed. I would highly recommend this product. Now I need to remove it and send the tub back to the painter.
I think bed liner is harder to keep clean. Dirt gets in all the little pits and you have to scrub it to clean it.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
I just received my Carpet order from Custom Interiors and I couldn't be happier. The molded carpet fit every curve perfect. It has a rubber backing and I have the extra insulation. In about 1 hour I had it installed. I would highly recommend this product. Now I need to remove it and send the tub back to the painter.
I think bed liner is harder to keep clean. Dirt gets in all the little pits and you have to scrub it to clean it.
Do u take a picture . Im looking for a full carpet set as well. I have used the ones from the big catalogs and never actually like there fit in 7s.. Never tried this place yet..

Sent from my SM-N910P

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I took pictures but because it is Black you really can't see anything. As I said before, the quality is excellent and the fit is perfect.

Gueon

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Thatcher
State
AZ

Can you post up a link to their website? Thanks.