• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Iron Duke sick? Carburator?

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
1981 iron Duke engine, since I purchased Jeep the carburetor has been acting up. Now it's gotten really bad.
Rock Auto list two rebuilt carburetors, both similar in price. Any comments on choices. 1st choice is "Autoline" 2nd choice is "United Remanufacture"
Gonna order one of the two with new fuel filter and spark plugs.
Anything I should consider?

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
I put a weber on mine. throttle linkage takes a little bit to get worked out but runs good.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
I did a weber vonversion on a MG Sprite years ago, good carburetors.

Changing motor over to V8, just trying to keep it running till I switch body to different frame. I use jeep just around the house when ever I need to trailer.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
One is probably no better then the other. Pick one, bolt it on, adjust idle/choke/idle mixture, let it rip. If a problem, well at least it will be fairly clean when you have to pull it apart to make other adjustments - float, metering rods, etc. :twocents:

The rebuilt carburetor I bought of eBay for the AMC four cylinder performed almost perfect out of the box. I have had others that I had to adjust all the internal settings. Unfortunately, hit or miss :shrug:

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Why replace it? Is it in such terrible shape that it can't just simply be rebuilt/cleaned? The rebuild kit only costs $20. Both of those carbs at rockauto are over $300. For that much I would at least try to work on what you already have. It's just a Rochester 2 barrel right? If so, they are pretty simple carbs.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
It's been worked on before, missing/stripped/wrong screws, broken ears etc... there's a reason its not running well.

skiptown

CJ-8 Member
City
Madison
State
WI
1981 iron Duke engine, since I purchased Jeep the carburetor has been acting up. Now it's gotten really bad.
Rock Auto list two rebuilt carburetors, both similar in price. Any comments on choices. 1st choice is "Autoline" 2nd choice is "United Remanufacture"
Gonna order one of the two with new fuel filter and spark plugs.
Anything I should consider?
I had the same issue and was going to rebuild it but a couple of the parts needed were out of stock, the po also made the choke a manual and though I’d do a rebuilt, which worked great The problem with the carb is the fuel mix screws are non adjustable. The instructions say something like…someone smarter than you adjusted this carb so don’t even try lol

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
Did you happen to check the condition of your fuel filter that is inside of the carburetor? It’s located where the fuel line hooks to the carburetor.
I had this problem with my high school Scrambler.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
I went to O'Reilly and got a carburetor, plugs, cap, plug wires. Then took to my mechanic. Just picked up and is running really good.20220707_201019.jpg20220707_201006.jpg
But......
On the drive home front brakes were hanging....