• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Jeeps in demand by thieves?

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
This is just a curious thought.... Are CJ's in high demand by thieves? How often are they really getting stolen? Is there an after market for them (like in Mexico) of for parts? I can see a market for accessories, esp wheels/tires.
I have laughed about few quirks that mine has, that an older person would figure out to get it started and moving, but a punk kid thug probably wouldn't.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
This is one of my bigger concerns. lt might not be a great Jeep but it is my baby. When not in my garage, i keep a eye on it best can.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
I think thieves don't have a clue what a CJ is. I would think they'd only care about new Wranglers, but don't know that for a fact. For the most part I don't worry about the security of my CJ and I live right outside of Detroit. I do keep mine garaged at home. And I don't leave anything of value visible in the Jeep. I never bother locking the doors, especially with a soft top. I would like to rig up a fuel pump cutoff for a little extra security when it's parked in public. Just my :twocents:

I should add that I think it helps that I don't have a shiny new paint job. My only real worry is someone steals it for a joy ride and crashes it.

Last edited:

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
I seldom hear about CJ's being targeted, but it's a rural existence here. Small town life (pop ~3400) and the inflated sense of security gives rise to bad habits - the keys irresponsibly remain in the ignition of my 7 more times than not, even with no doors. Of course, that changes on the rare occasions I travel in it. Even though I imagine the third pedal confuses most, I also have a tiny kill switch mounted in the tuffy console that gives a bit more peace of mind.

Last edited:

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I leave the key in mine wherever I go.........These folks can't, for 1. drive a manual and 2 know how finicky it is to get it down the road!

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I loaded 2 manuals on a hauler not too long ago. The probably in his 20‘s Driver looked in and Said man I can’t drive either one of these I laughed as I had to drive both on the hauler.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
You never know, they just might grindem till they findem if they get a chance.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I just installed this tracker in our RV and like it so far. We store it at an inside storage facility a few towns away and it has been fine, but it always bothered us that we didn't know where it was for the winter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753LC2DQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_1CVGFbQFTR04Z

My 8 stays in our garage and has a kill switch/hoodlock, the ability to pull a fuel pump fuse as part of the painless wiring kit and of course, the 3rd pedal anti theft device. Although, I'm not doing my part to prevent the next generation from learning to multitask with 3 pedals and 3 sticks to shift in the Scrambler.

20200912_143509.jpg

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
That tracker is a good idea, especially for just $40.

I've thought about who I will get my Jeep when I'm gone. Neither my daughter or her husband can drive three pedals. They are out. However, I might buy my granddaughter her first car when she turns 16... it will definately have three pedals. I grew up with farm trucks, tractors, even the lawn mower had a clutch.

Another anti-theft option is to shift the T-case into neutral, they would never figure that out.

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
This is just a curious thought.... Are CJ's in high demand by thieves? How often are they really getting stolen? Is there an after market for them (like in Mexico) of for parts? I can see a market for accessories, esp wheels/tires.
I have laughed about few quirks that mine has, that an older person would figure out to get it started and moving, but a punk kid thug probably wouldn't.

Bad guys trying to run from the cops with:
-a cold running BBD carb or one out of adjustment.
-T-150 popping out of gear.
-fuel gauge not reading correct.

=
busted!

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
I've got the fuel pump switch wired into the Painless/Howell harness. Works great