• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

LED Headlights

helimd

City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
So, I would like to add LED headlamps to my Scrambler. However, my situation is unique. This CJ is air conditioned and with the condenser located where it is, there isn't much room for a normal LED lamp. They all have fairly large housings. Any recommendations on a brand or model number of a unit that may fit? Thank you in advance.

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I used the standard Hella H4 7" light and then bought the LED H4 globe from Superbrightled.com. Great result without needing much more room. It has the added benefit of looking like a traditional light and not like the more 'modern' cateye light.

helimd

City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
I appreciate the feedback from all of you. I'm going to look at the condenser situation again and see if there is a way to either move it down or, potentially, finding a condenser that would fit better. I do like those Hella H4 lamps but with the depth of the heat sink, there will certainly be clearance issues.

brp0830

SOA Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Not sure if this company is still around, but Jake White recommended to me High Beam Offroad's "drifter series" LED. I've been very happy with them.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I have a question about the Holley lights. Everything stays the same, as in the hardware ? Just the light bulbs are changed out ?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I used a set from Quadratec that bolted into buckets in same location as standard bulb. @Randyzzz had to do some adjustments to get his to fit..
View attachment 107967

If I was doing it again, I would likely get the Holley
I had to do more than just adjustments to get them to fit. The backside of the housing was just a hair too large to get them to seat properly. I found this out after I trimmed the back of the buckets to clear the wiring harness. I ended up taking a couple of universal headlamp mounts off Amazon and doing some mods to them. (I think they were intended for Harleys.) if I was to do it again, I would also go with the Holleys. Pics of the modifications:

A6013718-941F-4DA2-A0AE-0A257DA3FD61.jpeg
Here’s the OEM light and the QTec light.

925051D8-D3A3-4E49-B805-88085C129C64.jpeg
This is a drawing of why the QTec lights wouldn’t fit in my stock buckets.

1B4874CB-76BD-4496-A481-BD95BCDF5820.jpeg
Amazon buckets installed.

29EB74D8-A53F-485F-8215-ABE3F7BB8117.jpeg
Amazon bucket measurements.

50F7CB41-C72F-4174-A66D-65F2311837AD.jpeg
Notching the Amazon buckets to fit the CJ bezel.

E50C803F-92D0-456C-8E6F-A18CBBBA1623.jpeg
Backside clearance.

0A55A14B-041F-45C8-9BE4-5EE8D1EDE334.jpeg
From the front.

21A5AE5B-EDF1-4B24-AC2A-2C088B489F75.jpeg
Had to bend/tap the lower bezel retainer to fit too.

So… lots of clearance this way but lots of work to get there. Still not driving it so I can’t speak to how they work.

Last edited:

helimd

City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
I like the looks of this one. Looks like I might get a set of these if QTec will be fair on the return policy. My fear is that, being electrical, there will be no return available. We'll see.