• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Line-X on half top ?

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
I have a half top that needs refinishing. The texture is worn off in a couple of areas. Checked with the local Line-X dealer and they gave me a very reasonable price to shoot the outside of the top. Other than not being exactly factory is there any disadvantages to doing this ? Thanks.

Greg

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I have Line-X in the bed of my pick up, it can be pretty tough to clean the surface. If you get into mud, it might be hard to get clean.

sanderson9

Scrambler Virgin
City
Coral Gables
State
FL
I think Ben8Jamin rolled some sort of liner onto his 1/2 hardtop. You might check with him, although I'm sure it wasn't exactly Line-X.

jmarkel

Scrambled for Life
City
Fairfax Station
State
VA
Liner on top

I actually rolled both the inside and outside of my 1/2 top with herculiner and added the anti-fade stuff to it. I loved it, but I have since sold the top off. If you can get them to spay the Line-x so that it is not cottage cheese like and more smooth like say pepper-jack cheese, it would be awesome.

BOBCAT

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Louisville
State
Ky
Line-X is a nice product but it will fade and start to look gray after a while in the sun. So it's up to you if that's what you want to do.

Don

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
Scrangler

Mike "Scrangler" on here, has an orange Scrambler that has been sprayed with something - may be Line-x. You may want to find him and fire him a PM.

ben8jamin

SOA Member & PROUD of it!
City
St. Simons Island
State
GA
sanderson9 said:
I think Ben8Jamin rolled some sort of liner onto his 1/2 hardtop. You might check with him, although I'm sure it wasn't exactly Line-X.

right you are sir. i did roll on herculiner early this summer. i used a painter's roller instead of the big-pored roller you are supposed to use to achieve a less aggressive look and feel (think of 60 grit sandpaper). like john n said, it is hard to clean. nothing a hose and a brush can't conquer, but forget cleaning it with a sponge. I love heculiner (and like material). It's so easy a caveman could do it.

doslocos

Basic User
City
Dolores
State
co
I have line-x in the bed of my 07 duramax and it is awesome!!!!, but I paid extra for the ultra. It is a Kevlar overlay that have a life time guarantee not to fade. Still looks new after a year of use. I just take it to the car wash and hose it down. I think you would love it on a top. It is very tough. They have colors, but I think only black has the guarantee.

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
Thanks for the responses. Pulled the trigger and dropped the top off today with Line-X. Asked them to shoot as fine of a texture as possible. Will be ready tomorrow afternoon. :smokin:

cjones

Basic User
City
Waco
State
TX
I did mine and like it. Also did the top part of the doors and the rool bar.