• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Locker ?

Should a (single one being used) Locker go in the front or back?

• Total voters

rollbar

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Harbor
State
Fl
I'm getting new gears & a Power trax lock-right locker, question is should I get the locker for the front (D-30) or should I get it for the back (D-44).
I'm leaning towards the back.

1. Front, Why?

2. Back, Why?

Thanks,
RollBar

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
Rear

That's a good question if you're only getting one, but my opinion is go with one in your rear 44, one reason: unless you beef up your dana 30, you'll probably be going thru u-joints and axle shafts if you go with a front locker only.

What size tires are you running?

Last edited:

rollbar

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Harbor
State
Fl
Thanks for the input, I'll be running BFG M/T-R 33x12.50x15.

lqCJ8

wheeler
City
La Quinta
State
CA
with a locker in the rear there will be alot more places you can go in 2 wheel drive , (not mention the u-joints & axle shafts )

RJCJ-8

SOA Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rome
State
GA
I agree the rear is good.
I've got a lock right in the front and rear.
I did the one in the rear first.
It does take a little getting use to for street driving, accelerating and decelerating
in turns you tend to have to over steer.

Jimbob

Basic User
City
Germantown
State
MD
Front is to much stress on the shafts, to much steering interference. With a twin stick I would imagine it isnt to bad but imho not worth it unless you do alot of rock crawling.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Just one last reason for the rear. You're more often in need of traction when you're climbing and as soon as the front end gets up, it loads up the rear. Lots of time you might not have enough weight on the front for the locker to make a real difference.

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
I have the same one in the rear of mine & it performed well wheeling a few weekends ago.

As Eric stated, the 2 times I could really tell it was there was going up hill.

Plus, like Jimbob said, turning these long things on a 180* switchback is hard enough, 'specially on a lifted (even less turning ability) Jeep

they are a bit weird to get used to when changing lanes on the highway
(or decellerating & trying NOT to change lanes ;) )