• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Low voltage to ballast resistor

willpriest

City
COLLEYVILLE
State
TX
Little help. I'm stumped. Engine runs fine for 15 min or so. When it is warm, it will just die and not restart. Checking the voltage @ the ballast resistor before there is a problem is 12V in and 9V out. When engine starts to stumble, getting 9V in and 5-6V out of the ballast resistor. I've already replaced the ICM.

Thanks,

Will

willpriest

City
COLLEYVILLE
State
TX
Little help. I'm stumped. Engine runs fine for 15 min or so. When it is warm, it will just die and not restart. Checking the voltage @ the ballast resistor before there is a problem is 12V in and 9V out. When engine starts to stumble, getting 9V in and 5-6V out of the ballast resistor. I've already replaced the ICM.

Thanks,

Will
Wrong Thread. I moved it to proper area.

scramcraz

Basic User
City
lake jackson
State
tx
what condition [how old] is your battery? You should have over 12 v input to the resistor with a healthy battery/charging system. Most systems the resistor is bypassed and the coil receives full voltage when cranking. After starting it should basically cut that about in half to feed the coil. Sounds like maybe you may have a charging problem. No way 9 volts is enough

willpriest

City
COLLEYVILLE
State
TX
what condition [how old] is your battery? You should have over 12 v input to the resistor with a healthy battery/charging system. Most systems the resistor is bypassed and the coil receives full voltage when cranking. After starting it should basically cut that about in half to feed the coil. Sounds like maybe you may have a charging problem. No way 9 volts is enough
I agree that 9 volts going into the resistor is too low. It only goes down to 9V when the engine is warm after a short drive. The battery is new. I'm wondering what could make voltage go from 12V to 9V by just warming up the engine. Also, the ALT gauge stays up @14V when problem starts happening.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Are you getting the power for the ballast resistor from the red/white wire? Why are you running a ballast resistor?

willpriest

City
COLLEYVILLE
State
TX
I am getting power from the red/white. The Ballast Resistor was stock for my model. I'm trying to keep it stock but sounds like HEI is the way to go for more dependability. This is a mostly original barn find that I am trying to sort out.

scramcraz

Basic User
City
lake jackson
State
tx
HEI is more better. Think the conversion is from a Ford 6 cyl. Been too many years but it was simple and never had ignition problems again. Not sure about the red/white wire maybe if you have a diagram you could trace the source and find out why the voltage drop.

scramcraz

Basic User
City
lake jackson
State
tx

check this out

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
This is the factory wiring diagram for my '83. The wire is the resistance for the coil feed, no ballast resistor.

Coil.PNG

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
HEI is more better. Think the conversion is from a Ford 6 cyl. Been too many years but it was simple and never had ignition problems again. Not sure about the red/white wire maybe if you have a diagram you could trace the source and find out why the voltage drop.
HEI is from a chevy straight 6 with I think an AMC v8 drive gear(some aftermarket gears destroy themselves or cam gear quickly as do cheap drop in distributors). The Ford swap is the "Team Rush" upgrade with a large cap, cap adapter, and coil from a straight 6 Ford.