• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Memo to CJ Sellers! (tongue in cheek)

Jimbob

Basic User
City
Germantown
State
MD
After looking at a few CJ7s buying a few junkers for stripping (these I knew what I was getting) I have some notes for those selling CJs. However after looking at some "pristine" higher ticket jeeps I have a new perspective on the average jeep seller. All for the good of those of us who take our time to seriously shop for CJs.

- There is a difference between excellent condition for a vehicles age and excellent condition.
- 4 rust holes and under is not pristine.
- Rust free does not mean it flakes everywhere but doesnt have any "holes"
- Powertrains are easy, bodies are hard
- Tossing in a free lube job from your girlfriend or wife is not a deal closer (or is it)

Seriously though, after driving a long time to look at numerous jeeps that I walked away from without even wanting to make an offer I am rather discouraged by the vehiclular representation by most Jeep owners.

- Misrepresenting a vehicle to get someone to look at it will not get you your sale price or a sale.
- Honesty is a good policy. When both buyer and seller are close the same area you are likely to have less harassment after the sale (not that I would but you know the types).
- Jeep people know Jeeps, dont try and tell someone that a little putty can fix everything.

-JB

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
hmm, I have that same feeling I had when the guy at work sent a company wide email disappointed with all the coffee drinkers for not refilling the pot (really happened) when it's empty, I am one of the few that refill it:D :p

-M

Jimbob

Basic User
City
Germantown
State
MD
Actually I put this out as a joke (if that wasnt obvious). Truth be known I was highly disappointed in a Scrambler that I have known for years but apparently in the last 2 years it has taken a major downturn (both major frame and body had problems). But I should have known better (memory has limited resolution), cant blame the owner for that one. However I have went on a few expeditions to look at not particularly cheap CJ7s ($3,000 to 5,000 dollars) with owners who said they were perfect and they were definately parts jeep.

Well cant say to much me and my father picked up two more Jeeps this weekend (neither CJ8) and located an additional geographically proximate CJ8 to investigate.