SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
before you count on gas at Hite, double check, the Marina there has been closed and I heard that the store as well but not the gas pumps, that said things change with the NPS budgets and there is always the possibility that theyd close it down completely. Hanksville isnt terribly far but it is a few gallons away and Bullfrog is even further.
When we were there this spring, the marina was long closed, but the store had hours, and the pumps were 24hr. I did check with the NPS and they thought it was still going, at the moment, anyhow. :shrug: Hanksville would work with a little extra fuel, for sure.

City
White Rock
State
NM
Thats how it was in October but a friend who works for NPS said it wasnt clear if anyone would maintain fueling capability there or not. Glad to hear its still there and available

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Thats how it was in October but a friend who works for NPS said it wasnt clear if anyone would maintain fueling capability there or not. Glad to hear its still there and available
I need to check with Hans Flat on that - forgot the other day when we talked to them. Well, Hanksville to Hans Flat and down the cliff on the Flint Trail is a good way in, then out to Hite and up the highway to Hanksville again might have to work. I'll just carry plenty of gas...

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
This trip definitely sounds way off the beaten path, very interesting:thumbsup::wave:
:) It's about as off the beaten path in tremenduously scenic country as it gets. Down by the border there continual traffic, between the Border Patrol and the aliens, elsewhere it's either ranch country or not so scenic, seems like. The mountains are nice, but htere seem to be little communities in all the good spots. It is hard to get further from a paved road in the lower 48, especially if you count being able to actually physically get to said road. Down on the edge of the Everglades is an area where you can be more than 20 miles from a maintained road, which is more than Yellowstone, where it's said that you can be 16 miles from any maintained road; Yellowstone is supposed to be the farthest. :shrug:
That's part of the attraction on the Maze...

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Well, things are shaping up! Getting ready to start the reservation process when the 4-month window arrives in a few days. Looks like there is room for 3 more jeeps. Trust and Mysunnshine, are you still thinking about coming for all or part? I got some nifty new NATO gas cans today for the trip - seem to be leak proof and stow easy.

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
We did the maze side a couple of years ago. Went in the road down by lake Powel to the doll house, over to the maze over look camps then back around to the far north west (forgot the name) until we got to the end of the road on the green river and back out by way of the Flint trail, Hans Flat and back to the highway and Hanksville. We started with full tanks at Hite and I carried 18 gallons extra fuel and I made the whole run in my 2006 LJ. Just to give some more info.

This is a lot of miles in the middle of know where. But is a GREAT trip!!!!!!

I have been to the Doll house by both Jeep and River Raft.

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Sounds you had fun! Same kind of trip plan, Dollhouse then out to the end of the road at Milliard Canyon. Would have done it all last year but one morning at Ekker Butte when I got up the gas gauge read "E". I carried 10 extra gallons of gas besides the 20 in the tank. Wasn't dead-certain it didn't leak out overnight and evaporate away with no trace in the stiff wind, so we turned around and headed for Hite. Still had a little over seven gallons when we got there. :) This year I figured I'd carry 4 cans instead of two, to make my cousin has enough besides. Did you camp at the Dollhouse when you were rafting? Long hike up from Spanish Bottom...
Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
No we just stopped at Spanish bottom took the hike up looked around for a while and continued down stream a couple of more miles then camped.

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Ah. We hiked down that trail once in June for a swim but needed another swim after getting to the top again.

Last edited:

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Looks like we'll be getting up early to reserve spots. The NPS allows you to reserve trips starting 4 months in advance, and trips starting a little earlier than ours are already filling up the campsites for the time we're proposing...

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Up in the dark of night to make reservations. Coming in from Hans Flat to camp at The Neck, then down the cliff on the Flint Trail to the Dollhouse for a couple of days, then to the Golden Stairs, Milliard Canyon,Ekker Butte, Maze Overlook and out to Hite. Just let me know if you want to join up somewhere. :cheers:

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
The maze is probably more time than I can commit to, but I may be able to swing a few days to the White Rim side.
What dates did you decide on?

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Starting the 26th in the Maze; you could join up there for a few days there without doing the whole trip. Then out to Hite on the 4th of May and going to Green River for the night. The first night (May 5th) at Airport campsite on the White Rim Road, then a night at White Crack and/or Murphy, then Labyrinth for a couple nights to get some hiking in, then out to Moab.

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Only three months to go! Getting the roof rack ready on the second jeep. Still room if somebody wants to go... :) shltr1rack.jpg

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Sooooo.... Getting closer! Just wanting to check on who might be coming. Brokejeep, Speig, Don, Trust, etc. you guys still thinking about coming? Now that spring is finally arriving here I'm starting on those projects to get ready. Anybody else? It will be fun! :)