• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My NEW scrambler finally is here!!

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
no !
i have sold several full sets for $50 on ebay
i will check my shed,i may have one

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
you pay shipping

attachment.php

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Definately Ford shock towers. They take a longer shock than factory, I think a couple of inches. It also needs an upper mount with a sleeve in it. The original configuration slid over a stud for the top mount, yours has a bolt through a sleeve. You'll need a longer shock when you get then lift- if you go with a 2" lift, get the front shock for a 4" lift...

The tie rod flip just moves the tie rods onto the top of the knuckles, giving more clearance.

You'll love the Duratracks. We put a set of the 265's on my wife's Tahoe a few months back...they are awesome, and if you get into the snow, I'd have to say they are as good as, if not better than the BFG T/A's.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
1. Don't mess with the shackle length until you get the correct springs mounted.
2. The tie rods were flipped because of clearance with the long-travel springs that were mounted on the Jeep before.
3. Unless somebody else in the past couple of months has screwed with the timing, don't mess with it. I recurved the HEI myself and set the total timing on the dyno using emissions equipment.
4. The Ford shock towers were installed to mount a shock with enough travel for the LT springs. If you are not doing anything oddball with the suspension, I'd just hunt down some stock shock towers and bolt them in the place of what is currently there. That also will help cure the shock mounting angle.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Good to connect to some of it's past. I knew the engine had been rebuilt, it appears to have a 4 spd (the VIN shows 5 spd). Is it a T-4 (or something beefier)?

Is it the original carb (or something different)?

1. Don't mess with the shackle length until you get the correct springs mounted.
- I was going to get tires mounted and a sway back on it an determine where to go / how much spring I needed. Looks like the shackle reversal will accomodated 2.5" YJ springs. Thinking about a 2.5" YJ kit? Any thoughts?

With the long shock towers and shocks, I was thinking of keeping them. How old / what are they? Do you remember?

2. The tie rods were flipped because of clearance with the long-travel springs that were mounted on the Jeep before.

Sounds good!

3. Unless somebody else in the past couple of months has screwed with the timing, don't mess with it. I recurved the HEI myself and set the total timing on the dyno using emissions equipment.

I'm not sure if it's still burning out the grime from sitting. It idles pretty low, but then usually stumbles right off idle, once past that point it's pretty smooth. Keep in mind, that I got it on "rollers" so I don't have 20 miles on it yet. I hope to have it on real rubber, and putting miles on next wednesday; so I will have a better feel then.

4. The Ford shock towers were installed to mount a shock with enough travel for the LT springs. If you are not doing anything oddball with the suspension, I'd just hunt down some stock shock towers and bolt them in the place of what is currently there. That also will help cure the shock mounting angle.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
It's a T4 in there. The carb has been modified to delete the computer control part of it and the carb is tuned already. The motor actually makes really good power for what it is BTW.

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Yeah, everything they said-- it looks clean, dry and rust free. Great buy. Great start and it looks like it will be fun to build. Great color and stripe combo too. And, of course, keep the pics coming! :thumbsup:

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
New Rubber is HERE!!!!

New rubber is here!!

After a week of taking care of mundane tasks such as getting a temp tag and new windshield (so it will pass inspection). I have taken my first step toward my scrambler restoration. I purchased the scrambler basically with rollers, knowing the wheels and tire size needed to fit my vision; so here goes!!

Full%20vehicle%20front%20angle.jpg

Full%20vehicle%20back%20angle.jpg

Rear%20tire%20spacing.jpg

Front%20tire%20spacing.jpg

I like the overall look; lift and stance. They are 265/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs on Blackrock 942s. With the new rubber on and the chance to take it for a spin (it's about 40 here today); it really rides and drives pretty good. Wasn't sure I would be able to stand the 2.72's with the bigger tires, but it's not terrible. The motor seemed quite a bit better after driving for 30 minutes or so (I mentioned before the stumble off idle). It is a really strong 258, it wraps really well, I found myself cruising the neighborhood in 2nd. Originally I thought I would deshackle and put on a 2.5" lift immediatly, but having driven a little, that may wait until this fall.

Last edited:

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
Lifetime Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Looks great. Any rubbing with that size tire?

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Rubbing?

No issues so far with rubbing. My when I cranked the steering wheel to check the fronts, I was really suppised how much room was between the tire and the frame. Don't know how to check for rubbing during spring compression? Any Ideas?

Here is a shot of the front shackle

Front%20shackle.jpg

Here is a shot of the rear shackle

back%20shackle.jpg
]

I was trying to detemine how much "effective" lift I was running right now. My understanding it that 1" of extra shackle = .5" of lift. I would guess these shackes are 4" longer than stock (and the reversal in front looks like it might be further from the frame than stock) and it is effectively a 2"-2.5" or so lift. What do you think?

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
What am I missing here?

I crawled under the scram to diagnose a loud noise when starting.

Missing.jpg

And I noticet the bell housing and flywheel exposed....How is this suppose to work?

Is the bell housing adapter plate in (2) pieces and I am missing half?

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
Lifetime Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Looks like it has rotated about 270 degree clockwise! It should cover tha exposed area.

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
There are 2 pieces and you are missing the smaller one.

attachment.php

Last edited:

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Missing piece

Where do I pick up the missing piece? What would it be called?

KK