• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Needing direction...

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I have the same seats in black and have been pretty happy. Only complaint is that the dust and dirt doesn't clean off to easy; but that won't show so bad on the brown.

Looking good! Keep charging forward!

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Windshield- before you get too crazy take it back off and screw in the two front bolts. Then try moving them as a unit. I know it sounds crazy but in an aftermarket frame I used on a CJ7 what you are seeing is a block of metal that is inside the frame. They try to line it up and then spot weld inside but lack of quality control this happens. If you are able to break it loose it will line up and when tightened down you'll never know it was broken loose.

Brace - that is your engine cross brace. Bolts from the bottom connecting your engine mounts. The end with the bend goes toward the passenger side

Exactly right! I put it together and didn't notice those were on a sliding bracket. Since I had a good frame now I decided to install the glass...

IMG_0134.jpg

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Care package sent.

Last night I had a very generous package waiting for me when I got home:
IMG_0178.jpg
Thanks 93_Fummins! I should be able to clean these up just fine!

Not much wrenching time lately but I have installed the new Weber carb, steering column, and have started on the heater.
IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

Last edited:

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Couple of aggravating things I had to work around. First my tailgate bolt holes were considerably off. I can't remember if I had this rear part replaced but the hinge holes were too high so I had to drill holes in the proper location to mount the tailgate.
IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg
Secondly, at least half of the holes on my cowl vent the plastic depression broke out to where the screw head wouldn't hold so I just ended up using washers.
IMG_0186.jpg
I doubt anyone outside of you all would ever notice these fixes but it's somewhat of a nuisance having to compromise. The only thing I accomplished today was to get the heater components installed after cleaning up with mothers last night. I also painted the back side of the blower motor and heater core housing along with installing a new core while I had it out.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
At least you got the tailgate hinges correct!!

Mine still need a 180 degree swap!! :banghead:

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
On the fuel filter. IIRC the return line needs to be turned to the top and should be placed slightly above the carb inlet. I don't remember exactly where I got that from.
On the tailgate hinge I agree it looks like the lower panel was installed Bass akward's. You're doing great, keep up the good work

Last edited:

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I wonder where the other holes came from? New holes look like mine....

IMG_1562.jpg

Last edited:

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
This evening I filled all fluids and attempted to start. However, it didn't want to cooperate. Not sure if I have a bad seliniod, bad starter, wiring problem, or a combination. I gave up for the night.

I had to hold my mouth just right to accomplish this but I did manage to reset my odometer a few days back.
IMG_0201.jpg

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
To begin with it almost acted like the battery was dead. Then the starter actually engaged but since I wasn't expecting it I let off the key too soon. Then the starter ran but didn't engage the ring gear and I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Tried it several more times and it never would engage the ring gear so I quit for the evening. I did not get a chance to work on it today. I do have a second starter I can swap out that will give me an indication of what might be the problem. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to look at it as the next few days my schedule is pretty much full. 👎🏻

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
It could be as simple as your column switch not being adjusted right.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
To begin with it almost acted like the battery was dead. Then the starter actually engaged but since I wasn't expecting it I let off the key too soon. Then the starter ran but didn't engage the ring gear and I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Tried it several more times and it never would engage the ring gear so I quit for the evening. I did not get a chance to work on it today. I do have a second starter I can swap out that will give me an indication of what might be the problem. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to look at it as the next few days my schedule is pretty much full. 👎🏻

I'd try the second starter; and make sure the battery is good and fresh. I went through 4 "rebuilt" junk starter's before I found a good one. When they rebuild em' they don't worry about how much slop is there.

KK

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Sounds like the bendix have gone bad in the starter. I would try the other one as well. I have also had similar issues when I had a cell in a battery go bad. It wouldn't give the starter enough spin to engage. So check batt then different starter would be my thoughts

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
So I wire wheeled the ground with no change. Then changed out starter and engine would crank but not quit cranking. As it turns out I'm a dumb *** and wired the selinoid bassackwards. Fixed that and ignition works as it should but I'm not getting any spark from the coil. I upgraded all the distributor and coil components to the Team Rush upgrade and must have a problem there. I had to leave town for the weekend so it'll have to wait until next week. At this point I'm about ready to let a professional take care of the wiring and vacuum systems.:banghead:

It's just going to take some time to get the gremlins out...

I also dropped off my windshield and frame at the body shop today. I wasn't willing to risk breaking a second one.

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
So, I had a similar problem and this by no means is the guaranteed answer to your problems but it was something I never saw coming....The negative battery cable was too low on the post and the clamp bolts were grounding out on the top of my battery. Moved it up a half a CM and the jeep started, ran, and shut down fine. It took me a month of troubleshooting before OneTon came over and noticed that while we were just talking.

Best of luck with the troubleshooting.

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
When I wired the jeep I put everything into new loom. This afternoon I had some time to look at things. When I pulled the loom off the coil wiring the two green wires going to the coil had pulled out of where I spliced them into the green wire coming from the harness. I should have taken a picture but the coil harness I added has three wires: two green and one red. The coil itself only has two prongs so I wired the red coming from the selinoid to the red on the coil and the green two the two greens on the harness.

Now I have spark but only at the very beginning and end of the crank cycle; it sparks once then cranks for however long you hold it and then sparks once as you release the key to the run position. Might be the ignition module?:shrug:

I still have few wires under the hood that I'm unsure where they go or if they are needed. As of now the only things that are not hooked up are the O2 sensor and a sensor on the manifold. Here are some pics:

Wire #1: jeep originally had AC. Maybe for that?
IMG_0216.jpg

Wire#2
IMG_0215.jpg

Wire#3
IMG_0217.jpg

Wire #4
IMG_0218.jpg

Wire #5
IMG_0220.jpg

Wire #6 - I'm guessing this is an illumination wire for under hood light.
IMG_0221.jpg

Wire #7 - I think this is the electric choke wire?
IMG_0222.jpg

Wire #8
IMG_0225.jpg

Wire #9
IMG_0227.jpg
^^Note black wire coming out of loom by fuse block... not sure where it goes either.

Wire #10
IMG_0226.jpg

Last edited:

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Last pic - manifold sensor (there are two others on the side of the manifold)
IMG_0228.jpg

I'm also not getting the fuel pump to pull any gas from the tank. I did get my hazards to work today but only the right turn signals. However, my dash indicator flashes left when signals flash right. Just need to switch wires on speedo.

I'm waiting to hear back from a mechanic in town, I'm considering letting him sort out the wiring and vacuum lines and I'll worry about the rest.

I know this post is lengthy but any help would be appreciated.