NM to FL '85 CJ8 Renegade take 2

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Venice
State
FL
A Jeep build is never done, and with that spirit I hope to make yet another change to this build. I want to add a small displacement Diesel engine. I’ve settled on the Toyota 1KZ-TE 3.0l turbo diesel engine. It’s hard to find in the states but they can be had for reasonable prices. I hope to have this engine installed and running before I leave for the Marines this winter.

Last edited:

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Venice
State
FL
Well, my T5 blew itself up today, so that will expediate the engine swap and I’ll try to get it done within the next couple of months.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
That’s a bummer, but good motivation to get the swap done. I have an SR4 in my scrambler... luckily I also have an assembled power train in my garage in case it gives out.

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Venice
State
FL
Work on the swap started today, just getting it ready, removal of the winch, bumper, grill, and fenders. Hope to have the engine/tranny/transfer shipped to me soon. The 4.2 out of the scrambler will be going in my fathers CJ7 that’s been sitting in our driveway with a cracked 2.5 block.

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Venice
State
FL
I haven’t been on this forum in far too long. It’s been a long an eventful year since I started undertaking the engine swap, filled with lots of moving, work, and a marriage. I haven’t had the time to work on it at all in over a year since I’ve relocated for work. The build is still on with the Toyota 1kz-t engine and r151f trans. I’ll be headed home for Christmas, and in the process I’m dropping off the 1kz to get rebuilt at a land cruiser shop on the opposite coast of Florida from where the Jeep is, if the price is right I may have them fab up the engine/trans mounts as well, since I no longer have much time with my job. The build is not dead. I’ve also been getting help from another forum member who’s done the same swap into his CJ6

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Venice
State
FL
In other good news, a 98 TJ has been added to my small Jeep family, I don’t know much about wranglers, but I love it already. I traded my 05 Nissan Frontier for it, and it’s now my daily. It’s on - 4.5” lift, 35x12.5 tires, with auto lockers in the front and rear. 6CCF86F1-A90E-4297-880E-AE4D35EE5232.jpeg 4142CA3F-066C-4611-8000-14C898CCEE14.jpeg

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Welcome back, sorry to hear that things got sidelined, but it sounds like it's for good reasons. We grabbed a '98 TJ this fall too that's been my daily. Hoping to go through it all in time for the kid to drive it when she gets her license :eek:

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Venice
State
FL
Minor update, and I know it means nothing without pics, but we were able to get the Toyota to start up today. I dropped it off at a buddy’s shop so he can evaluate it further as I have to head back to work in a different state. Progress is progress even if it’s slow, and that engine will power that Jeep eventually, no matter what

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Venice
State
FL
7BB3D8B4-88E7-4163-AF5A-CA297CDB41C5.jpeg 03592A88-35BD-4732-B199-74CC6A979158.jpeg 79457DE1-955F-4311-AEA9-885E781A05C8.jpeg 5D76201F-5218-49F8-89E5-F821D311BCB6.jpeg
Just realized I never posted up the engine pulling/empty engine bay. It was my fathers first time pulling an engine and he was excited, he loves this Jeep just as much as I do.