• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

NM to FL '85 CJ8 Renegade take 2

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Venice
State
FL
Alright, here we go with take number two. Photos seem to be working this time through, special thanks to CJ7Pilot for helping me out with this one.

I've been lurking this forum for well over a year now, and its about time I make my build thread. My name is Max, I'm 17 years old and I'm from Venice Florida. I grew up loving jeeps. My father has a 1985 CJ7 that he's the second owner of since 1989, when i was little riding in it was my favorite thing in the world. It was what spurred my love for the Jeep brand. My father and I were searching for CJ7 to restore when i stumbled upon a Scrambler sitting in someones garage all in boxes. I called him up and he came over and we fell in love with the unique Jeep. We ended up letting that one slip through our fingers, but we tracked one down in New Mexico a while later, VIN 1JCCF88E8FT186290. I'm sure one of you here can tell me a lot more about the scrambler than everything I know just from the VIN and I'd appreciate it if there's any information to gain from it. This Jeep seems to have a ton of factory options on it including Clock, tach, power steering, A/C, and the 4.2l. The goal of this build is a semi-restoration. I say "semi" because I decided to go with a different factory 1985 color. It was originally 5D honey, but I selected 5E Dark Brown Metallic. I'm sorry about the long winded introduction, now on to the good stuff. I hope y'all enjoy this thread.

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Venice
State
FL
As you can see, it wasn't exactly in pristine condition, but it really wasn't bad at all. It was involved in a small accident in a parking lot which led to that rather large spot that rotted away on the passenger rear. It also had this hard rubber matting that had been molded to the floor boards that was harboring some rust in a couple spots. Mainly the floor board that always ends up having holes in it. It was difficult to pry up, but once it was out the pristine time capsule interior really showed. The first thing we did when we got the jeep was take off that ugly hard top and go topless like they're meant to be.

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Venice
State
FL
Also, if anybody knows how to prevent these from turning sideways could you please let me know

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Looks like that "ugly hard top" kept your bed in really nice condition. Fix those spots you've shown and fill a few holes and your tub should be ready for new paint.

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Venice
State
FL
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've gathered from this site I believe this is a loaded factory option Renegade with Honey exterior and a Honey interior. Like I said above, if anybody could tell me anything based off the VIN 1JCCF88E8FT186290, it would be greatly appreciated.

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
I'm pretty bad at figuring out the "packages" but from welding the two tubs that I have fixed back together she looks very doable. Congratulations looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
Congrats on you new project. 85 was the lowest production numbers and it is great seeing another one saved. It looks like a honey interior, and in very nice shape at that. If you can take a photo of the trim tag on the firewall, it will be able to confirm the original trim and paint codes. That tag should be below the brake master cylinder and will also contain your vin. That one could be a Renegade package with the dash/seats/steering wheel. Renegades did have the rocker moldings but one of the prior owners may have removed them. Looks like there are some drilled holes in the rockers that may have been for the moldings.

Last edited:

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Venice
State
FL
Congrats on you new project. 85 was the lowest production numbers and it is great seeing another one saved. It looks like a honey interior, and in very nice shape at that. If you can take a photo of the trim tag on the firewall, it will be able to confirm the original trim and paint codes. That tag should be below the brake master cylinder and will also contain your vin. That one could be a Renegade package with the dash/seats/steering wheel. Renegades did have the rocker moldings but one of the prior owners may have removed them. Looks like there are some drilled holes in the rockers that may have been for the moldings.

Thanks, I know it'll be fun one. I can't currently take a photo of the trim tag and I don't recall what exactly was on the tag. I can't get a picture of the tag because it's been in a buddy's shop getting ready for paint for the last month. It should be out with a fresh coat in a week or two. When it is I'll be sure to post up the trim tag because I really would like to know more about the vehicle.

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Venice
State
FL
Since its been in the shop getting prepped for paint, it currently looks like this
IMG_0559.jpg

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Venice
State
FL

Thank you so much for doing that and for sharing how. I appreciate it. I'll try to move on from here using that

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Looks like the posts you just posted worked out fine. :shrug:

Anyway, it's looks like you're coming along nicely.
Keep the pics coming. :popcorn: