johnnyvol
Basic User
- City
- Iron City
- State
- tn
I have searched the archives but can't seem to find what I need. Hopefully someone can tell me what I've done wrong.
Installed a new HEI from HEI dizzy on ebay. Fit is good and it went right in. Purchased new plugs and wireset and installed, finding TDC by the handcrank method and using the timing marks. Gapped the plugs to .050 gap. Line up #1 with the rotor and wired in per Chilton book firing order. 1-5-3-6-2-4. Pulled power from the input to the old ignition module and checked with a meter, 12v crank and run.
Turns over but no start. So I start over doing the same things. Checked everything I know to check. I have spark at the plugs. Tried three different sets of wires and two sets of plugs so I have those eliminated. Even checked resistance of the wires to make sure. Opened up the carb and pulled the throttle and gas flows. Also checked my jumper wire from the 12v source at the distributor to make sure it has 12v.
It backfires occasionally, not sure if that is just from compression or if its actually burning in the chamber. It has backfired through the carb a couple of times. Have I snafu'd my carb? I have a new MC2100 ready to go on it but would like to do one thing at a time.
Am I right in that this eliminated the old ignition module and coil?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss.
Thanks
John
Installed a new HEI from HEI dizzy on ebay. Fit is good and it went right in. Purchased new plugs and wireset and installed, finding TDC by the handcrank method and using the timing marks. Gapped the plugs to .050 gap. Line up #1 with the rotor and wired in per Chilton book firing order. 1-5-3-6-2-4. Pulled power from the input to the old ignition module and checked with a meter, 12v crank and run.
Turns over but no start. So I start over doing the same things. Checked everything I know to check. I have spark at the plugs. Tried three different sets of wires and two sets of plugs so I have those eliminated. Even checked resistance of the wires to make sure. Opened up the carb and pulled the throttle and gas flows. Also checked my jumper wire from the 12v source at the distributor to make sure it has 12v.
It backfires occasionally, not sure if that is just from compression or if its actually burning in the chamber. It has backfired through the carb a couple of times. Have I snafu'd my carb? I have a new MC2100 ready to go on it but would like to do one thing at a time.
Am I right in that this eliminated the old ignition module and coil?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss.
Thanks
John

