• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

OT, racks for a Z71?

Robert Slone

Legacy Registered User
City
Spring Hope
State
NC
I have an '08 Chevy Z71 w/ extended cab , no racks on top. I'd like to be able to carry my canoe on the roof. It's a Dagger "Encore", 13' open whitewater canoe with a lot of rocker (shaped a lot like a banana). The ladder racks I've seen to fit the bed won't work due to the curve of the boat (the front of the boat would be sitting on my roof). They generally just aren't tall enough.
Can anyone point me to some roof top racks that don't cost an arm and a leg and don't involve drilling hole in the roof. Tall bed racks would be ok too especially if they don't involve drilling through the bed rails.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Looks like we both have the same issue to solve. Bought a 2003 Silverado extended cab for the wife a couple weeks back, and she wants to carry her 13' paddle board. I'm going to have to fabricate a front/rear rack system that is sturdy and removable. She insists on something that doesn't look like a ladder rack. I'm working on a stable quick release system for the bed pockets. I don't want anything on the roof.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
I use something like this.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_59876-60889...k&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=ladder+rack&facetInfo=

I do not remember if it is this brand or something else. But it is aluminum, and each foot uses 2 clamp vises that attach to the foot and go under the lip of the bed. It takes about 15-20 min to put on or off. And I run my 14.7' Carolina sit in side Kayak and the wifes 13' sit on top. So a paddle board should be easy.

My Truck is a 2007 2500 HD double cab but should have the same 6'8" bed as the 1500 Extended cab. Actually works pretty good for me. It is quick to put on and take off cost about $200. Only real downside is that I cannot use my bed cover at the same time. But I have put 2 on the rack, 2 in the bed, nad then 2x4 across the bed sides and 2 more on top of that. So I got 6 boats on the truck with a trailer of Boy Scout stuff behind that. Looked a bit funny but no issues.

Sorry no pics of the setup.

Carl

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Hmm, looks like a workable solution. Once things settle down I'll probably fabricate something similar, maybe that way I can sell some local.