• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Poly Gas Tank Split...Again

LeeW

Basic User
City
Xenia
State
OH
Morning All,

Quick history: I replaced the rusty skid plate on my 84 CJ8 with this https://maxbilt.com/products/jeep-gas-tank-skid-plate-cj5-6-7-8-20-gallon-steel. It is a beast. The tank had to be slightly pressed into the box. I would not say I forced it but it did't drop in there either. A few months later I filled the tank and saw a lot of gas leaking. There was a split at the top. I bought a used 20 gl poly tank on Ebay and replaced it. It's been fine for the last few months. Yesterday, I filled up with gas and had another leak. It is very similar to the last. As the gas stops sloshing around the leak stops. My conclusion is another split or issue on the top again.

I need to drop the tank to be certain but I'm concerned the skid plate is somehow causing this. Yes, both tanks have to be nearly 40 years old but I can't let this happen a third time. I'd hate to reimagine the whole set up and or move to 15 gallon system. I know we can't get a reasonably priced new 20 tank.

Please remind me, did the original 20 gl skid plate hold the poly tank "tight" like I described above? Or was there room to expand? I wonder if the tank is expanding upward and it's too much stress rather than expanding around evenly.

Thanks

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Where is it split? I have had to replace the rubber seal that secures the sending unit. Twice. The round one did not seal well. I know have one with square edges and so far so good. Mine would leak when it was full. After that though it was fine. But this seal seems to be doing the trick. For now.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I also installed a boat hatch so that I do not have to drop the tank. I don’t want to do that again.

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
Is the vent clear? could the tank be building pressure causing it to split?