• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Replacement 4” lift springs recommendations

Rippa

City
Garland
State
Tx
I rebuilt my ‘83 scrambler in 1996 but haven’t wheeled much in 10 years. Just getting back into it. I think it’s time for some new springs. I believe I put Trailmaster 4” lift springs on it then. Deaver Spring has been recommended but are 3-4 times the price of over the counter springs. This Jeep is for wheeling only except for a trip or two to Dairy Queen. I will tend to run harder than your average Jeeper but not hard core rock crawling. So Colorado San Juan’s, Moab, Okla, Ark and the like. Thanks.

Attachments

• 19F95376-B4D5-4FA7-B4BE-8FBA08C9A827.jpeg
    19F95376-B4D5-4FA7-B4BE-8FBA08C9A827.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 15

shortbals

City
Chesterfield
State
MO
Deaver Spring! We talked about this already. lol They flex like no other springs and are built right. They will last you another 20 years and you will be happy.

Rippa

City
Garland
State
Tx
We meaning, do I know you? I tried to search it to no avail. Thanks for the input. I’ll be dead or close to it in 20 years so I won’t care. Lol

shortbals

City
Chesterfield
State
MO
You just need to look at your facebook messenger lol But then the next guy will get a jeep with good springs. What did Jeff quote you on a full set up?

shortbals

City
Chesterfield
State
MO
Small world. Can’t get a second opinion for nothing. Lol

Because everyone knows Deaver is the king of leaf springs lol So $750 was springs only per pair? Yeah, thats high. But man do they work and ride nice.

Rippa

City
Garland
State
Tx
I guess it was springs only. He just emailed and said 750.00 a pair. What else would there be?

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I rebuilt my ‘83 scrambler in 1996 but haven’t wheeled much in 10 years. Just getting back into it. I think it’s time for some new springs. I believe I put Trailmaster 4” lift springs on it then. Deaver Spring has been recommended but are 3-4 times the price of over the counter springs. This Jeep is for wheeling only except for a trip or two to Dairy Queen. I will tend to run harder than your average Jeeper but not hard core rock crawling. So Colorado San Juan’s, Moab, Okla, Ark and the like. Thanks.

I have ALCANs; also custom springs. I love them, seem better and to last longer than the OTC springs. Pretty sure @bigwalton likes his BDS 5" kit; but I think he had to do add a leafs in back (he has a full hardtop too)....

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I have ALCANs; also custom springs. I love them, seem better and to last longer than the OTC springs. Pretty sure @bigwalton likes his BDS 5" kit; but I think he had to do add a leafs in back (he has a full hardtop too)....

I’ve come to think that the BDS setup isn’t enough as delivered for a Scrambler. Mine is exceptionally heavy but I’ve heard from others with more stock-like rigs that the springs just sag out too fast. I have added their massive thick add a leafs in the rear and one full-length on the back right (to fight the lean) and now need to do the full-length ones on the front.

Now that they’re tweaked in the rear, they’re really fantastic, but I just think they’re not enough and you shouldn’t have to go through all of this :shrug:

if I were doing it all again (and when I need springs next) I’m weighing each corner and getting Alcan or Deaver or something custom done.

Rippa

City
Garland
State
Tx
I’ve come to think that the BDS setup isn’t enough as delivered for a Scrambler. Mine is exceptionally heavy but I’ve heard from others with more stock-like rigs that the springs just sag out too fast. I have added their massive thick add a leafs in the rear and one full-length on the back right (to fight the lean) and now need to do the full-length ones on the front.

Now that they’re tweaked in the rear, they’re really fantastic, but I just think they’re not enough and you shouldn’t have to go through all of this :shrug:

if I were doing it all again (and when I need springs next) I’m weighing each corner and getting Alcan or Deaver or something custom done.

I remember Alcans as being good springs from the past. Can you post a side view of your Jeep? I’d like to see what 5” springs look like.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Note that the rear fender flares are mounted above the stock location on the corner armor, so the space above the 35s in the rear is a little tall and throws the visual off a bit.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I had Alcan make me a set for a CJ5. 4" liked them better than the Super lift Softride on my Scrambler. They had me weigh it at each tire and built them to that weight. Rode much nicer than the Scrambler.

Rippa

City
Garland
State
Tx
I had Alcan make me a set for a CJ5. 4" liked them better than the Super lift Softride on my Scrambler. They had me weigh it at each tire and built them to that weight. Rode much nicer than the Scrambler.
Thanks bro. Taking notes

Rippa

City
Garland
State
Tx
Went to Alcan website. Low and behold my buddies Jeepster is on their main page. That’s cool.

Attachments

• 409C6CA8-9CE9-4299-BF54-635D97DA31B1.png
    409C6CA8-9CE9-4299-BF54-635D97DA31B1.png
    546 KB · Views: 21

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Thanks for the pics. Great looking 8. I think I’ll stay
with 4”. I like been low on the side hills. Lol

Fwiw, I believe the BDS springs are 4 or 4.5 and the rest is the shackles they provide.