SCJEEPER'S Build to Now!

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I got to play with the 7 for a few minutes yesterday trying to diagnose the issue with no power going to anything. Biggest issue I found was loose battery connections and old soft cable ends. As soon as I got the cable ends fixed I had power and got her to fire off. The issue now is that the switch seems to have an issue. As soon as you let the key turn back to the run position it apparently looses power and the jeep turns off. Bad ignition switch?
That's great to hear.

Have you replaced the ballast resistor you originally found broken?
Remember this post?

The block in the picture looks like the old style ballast resistor that was used to limit the voltage to the coil after the engine starts and the ignition switch is in the "run" position. The coil would typically get full battery voltage when cranking.
You should be able to test for voltage at the feed side (from the ignition switch) when the key is in the "Run" position. It should be close to battery voltage.
If it is, test the output from the resistor.
Is the new replacement resistor the same ohm resistance as the old one?

As you have found out connections are important with the low voltage (12 volt) used in automotive wiring.
Keep at it simple tests will find the problem.

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
I'm gonna keep chipping away at it. It is butt cold here currently and I just haven't had a chance to mess with it anymore. There coming to get 8 today!

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
And yes I have replaced the resistor with the same at lease it was supposed to be the same as what broke. I'll have to do some more volt testing..

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Picked the 8 up last night and drove around and played until the wife made me come home! All that was wrong was the button was 180* out and a couple of vacuum hoses. He said I had done a good job so that made me feel like I hadn't wasted all my time swapping everything out. I love the way it sounds now. The idle is lower now and has be desperately wanting a header and exhaust! I'm gonna get her back to her former glory now.
[video=youtube_share;_jlo_iyvzg0]https://youtu.be/_jlo_iyvzg0[/video]

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Well I was looking forward to a beautiful weekend of spit shining the 8 and cruising around with the family and then that plan got crapped on when I couldn't get the 8 to start Friday after work. Seems like I'm not getting any fire. I have tested the voltage to the coil but didn't have anyone to help spin the motor for me to check for spark coming out of the coil. The guy that fixed it for me is coming over sometime today to look at it. :fingerscrossed:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Well I was looking forward to a beautiful weekend of spit shining the 8 and cruising around with the family and then that plan got crapped on when I couldn't get the 8 to start Friday after work. Seems like I'm not getting any fire. I have tested the voltage to the coil but didn't have anyone to help spin the motor for me to check for spark coming out of the coil. The guy that fixed it for me is coming over sometime today to look at it. :fingerscrossed:
It sounds to me like it could be a ground issue... you had it touching and it was working fine and then something ever so slightly goes out of whack and it doesn't touch and then no fire... I have had sneaky issues like that before.

cb

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
What ground though? I checked the ground to the ICM and it is good. The ground from the battery to the block is solid. Ground from the alternator is solid. I have a sneaky suspicion that is a bad coil wire to the dizzy since I know I have voltage coming in the coil.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I keep a remote starter switch in my tool box. It comes in handy when you don't have a key turner.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
What ground though? I checked the ground to the ICM and it is good. The ground from the battery to the block is solid. Ground from the alternator is solid. I have a sneaky suspicion that is a bad coil wire to the dizzy since I know I have voltage coming in the coil.
I had that problem last year. Bought a brand new one. Bad as well. Replaced the whole dizzy piece by piece. No dice. Got a new dizzy complete and it fired right up. Grrrr

bordo380

CJ-8 Member
City
Arlington
State
Tx
Well it has been a while since I have had time to do anything on the jeep and it has been fartin cold! With the highs in the 70's this weekend I couldn't resist knocking out some lingering projects that I have been wanting to do. First was to change the color of the interior panels on the half doors. Got some of my go to duplicolor vinyl/fabric paint and went to work. The final project turned out great in my opinion. Pictures to prove it.
View attachment 32232
View attachment 32233
View attachment 32234
Next project will be summed up simply by the pictures. I hope that you guys are as happy about it as I am. It is not an exact match but looks good none the less. The doors need too much body work to save them so i just made lemonade out of lemons. I'll have to replace them at some time but not now. They serve the purpose for me.
View attachment 32235
View attachment 32236
View attachment 32237
View attachment 32238
Love the rig. Are those stock fender flares?

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Bad ICM! Changed it out and fired rite off. I can't wait to get her all spit shined up and swap out my new seats and other little projects to complete. Those flares are Xenon 6" TJ flares. With the D44's being so wide they really help with tire coverage and oddly enough they don't look goofy. I didn't cut the body though, the factory fender lines are still there just hidden under the plastic. Thanks for all the help with everything guys!

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Well back at it after a whirl wind trip to San Diego for work. Had an awesome time while we were there though. Probably ate the best food I have ever eaten in my life while I was there. The best part is that it was on someone else's dime! Heading to Charleston for the Garth Brooks concert tomorrow night and a little weekend getaway from the childrens for valentines day. Jeep was driving great last weekend. Still need to source a breather cover and filter for the carb. Any suggestions?

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Long time no update! Been summer time for sure. Being in the turf equipment, irrigation and pump station business it has been a little hectic to say the least. Between all that in the blistering heat, I have gotten the interior change out for some much nicer original CJ seats. The wiring under the hood is nice, neat and tucked away. I developed an exhaust leak so took the opportunity to upgrade with Dual outlet headers and super 40's. It is at the shop now having that installed. I was too scared of breaking off bolts in the block to take on this project. Call me chicken but that is a headache that I didn't want. Got the soft top on and cut old windows off so it is basically a Bimini top now. Works great and stays in place with the original hardware. When I get the jeep back I will have to work on the tire swing some. The welded nut inside that the bolt goes into to lock it in place broke off. So now I cant take the bolt out to swing the tire to open the tail gate. Time to upgrade that as well. Anyone have any specific weldable latch they use? I haven't even started researching that issue yet. When I get that fixed I am planning to upgrade the stereo. As in not have a head unit at all anymore and just use my phone for audio. I found a marine amp that has all the inputs that are needed for an aux jack hookup and speaker hookups. Now the question is where to put it and keep it dry. My thoughts are to modify a plastic glove box and keep it in there. I am going to cover the hole in the dash with a Stainless overlay. I have been wanting to add one to the dash anyway. The plan for now is when it is time to throw a top back on it, I am gonna go back with the half cab set up just to mix things up a little. I need something to use as a truck and why not because it looks sweet anyway!! I'll post up a video after I get the jeep back from the exhaust shop hopefully today.

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
First thing I'm gonna do when I get it back. Hoped to get it yesterday but that didn't happen. Worked on a new home for the jeeps today. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
As you can tell by my little storage building I desperately need storage space! How do you guys store your doors? I am a little door heavy with both jeeps and so many top options.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
My first thought when I saw it was how much I got we get reminded up here for snow loads and angles and such... then I saw you were down south and you don't have to worry about that stuff ;)

cb

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
I found these and think I will try them out. I will pad the metal with foam insulation and hang the full doors from the top of window while resting the half doors on the the actual bracket. I will probably add some additional bracing just to keep anything from collapsing.
Jeep Door hangers.jpg