• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

SJScrambler - Getting Started

Last nights progress.
I honestly was surprised how straight and level everythign was on the other side... doing it this way wasn't my intention, but didn't know what else to do.

I got the frame fixed up (rear cross member on) and body mount holes drilled in repaired frame ears.

I need to find a mounting kit and will bolt this up tonight or tomorrow.
Weather is moving in Friday, so I need to get this stuff where it needs to be before then.

20181113_175315_resized.jpg

20181113_175540_resized.jpg

20181113_175545_resized.jpg

20181113_185026_resized.jpg

20181113_185042_resized.jpg

cb
 
Had a buddy stop by and help me get this on the frame to make sure it all lines up and to start making the front mounting structure.
Didn't get too far... needed to rearrange the garage to the final positions to get the plow out as we got snow coming tomorrow so I can get that on the tractor tonight and also get some wood stacked. Middle of November Nor'easter... fun times.

20181114_173851_resized.jpg

20181114_173941_resized.jpg

20181114_173951_resized.jpg

20181114_174919_resized.jpg

cb
 
Was a good night last night... got it bolted to the frame, but there are some other adjustments and issues that came up... as expected, fully custom bed here...

20181116_180932_resized.jpg

20181116_180941_resized.jpg

20181116_184439_resized.jpg

20181116_184451_resized.jpg

20181116_184501_resized.jpg

20181116_185116_resized.jpg

20181116_185232_resized.jpg

20181116_191838_resized.jpg

The rear hols on the rollbar aren't lining up to well, so there will be adjustments needed there... also next is to try to figure out how to encluse thefront of the bed and make it look cool... also need another rollbar front hoop, so some cutting is needed for the dual tube rollbar look I am after.

cb
 
Busy today extending the bed area and working on a dual tube setup to make up the difference in the extension.
I had this in my head for so long, but didn't account for how these bar are bent... more than likely I will need new down tubes bent at a slight angle and move the front bars up so I can get the tubes closer together and closer to where the cab will be.

Small hiccups...

20181117_133745_resized.jpg

20181117_155847_resized.jpg

20181117_155858_resized.jpg

20181117_155913_resized.jpg

20181117_155920_resized.jpg

20181117_155923_resized.jpg

20181117_155940_resized.jpg

cb
 
Got the rear corners cut off and new ones starting to be fitted... it is a ton of work as they are a bit off in some areas... but we will make them work.

cb

20181119_153455_resized.jpg

20181119_154552_resized.jpg

20181119_161721_resized.jpg

20181119_171220_resized.jpg

20181119_175957_resized.jpg

20181119_180006_resized.jpg

I will get them final fitted tonight and then strip them and weldable primer them and then hopefully burn them in tomorrow.

cb
 
PS> Notice the snow out the garage door... it was nice when I started working on it, but towards the end I was freezing... it is snowing again now... not even Turkey day and will probably have 9-10 inches on the ground... hasn't happened in years.
 
The pace you keep with the projects(and posting) is admirable. I think I spend more time following the builds on here than I do on my own. The effort/time you put into it is going to make it a special JEEP. I hope who ends up with it will appreciate it. It is really taking shape. Looks great!
 
The pace you keep with the projects(and posting) is admirable. I think I spend more time following the builds on here than I do on my own. The effort/time you put into it is going to make it a special JEEP. I hope who ends up with it will appreciate it. It is really taking shape. Looks great!

Thanks...I have been fortunate these last few weeks to have some time to work on it... the summer I had none, so I am trying to make up for lost time. I hope to have the bed roughly done and mounted on the actual frame in a few weeks... then back on the tub... once the major metal work is done, it should go a lot quicker/easier with the body work and build out.

cb
 
As stated before, your skill set is amazing. :wave:
 
Your work and your documentation of the work is outstanding! I love checking the progress of your build and this thread.
 
A few more tweaks and a lot of fitting, trimming and cutting, but the rear end is shaping up really nice on this thing.

20181120_172114_resized.jpg

20181120_172118_resized.jpg

20181120_172409_resized.jpg

20181120_181225_resized.jpg

20181120_181234_resized.jpg

20181120_181242_resized.jpg

20181120_181251_resized.jpg

The biggest pain was getting the tailgate aligned and the gaps on the sides even... and the measurement from rail to rail front to back to be about the same... these are Jeeps after all and they aren't perfect to begin with, but I wanted at least 1/8" at the most off... wasn't striving for absolute perfection here... there are too many mixtures of aftermarket, original and custom made parts going at this thing.

cb
 
It is hard to see, but I even cut off the little metal pieces from the original tailgate hold downs... they are in there now and need to be tacked in place, but trying to keep any piece of the original I can... I am leaving the yellow tailgate supports even though they are beat up and rusty and have a small hole in one of them... I just figured it would be good to keep some of the original stuff besides just the sides.

cb
 
Not much to report... just some measuring and cutting... got a little bit done before the holiday festivities set in.

It is freezing out there now... so probably not much until next week.

cb

20181121_184009_resized.jpg

20181121_184003_resized.jpg

20181121_183953_resized.jpg
 
On your last picture, is that your new spot welds ? Heard it was pretty chilly on the upper east coast
 
Got the right side attached for the most part and started on the left side... it is a combination of panel adhesive, spot welding and regular welding... the thing is very solid.

After the emotional rollercoaster of the Michigan game yesterday, I think today I am going to do the other side and go football-less today... too much raising of the blood pressure...

cb

20181123_173922_resized.jpg

20181123_175401_resized.jpg

20181124_172151_resized.jpg

20181124_172159_resized.jpg

20181124_172211_resized.jpg
 
Scrambler is looking good. The LSU vs A&M game was the real roller coaster ride and I got run over on that one
 
Got a few minutes yesterday to prep and get ready for welding the left side up (hopefully tonight).

20181125_160131_resized.jpg


20181125_160142_resized.jpg

20181125_165323_resized.jpg

20181125_165332_resized.jpg
 
Back
Top