• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

So I picked up this Dana 60 the other day....

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
It came installed on a Scrambler project I'm working on. At first glance it looks pretty cool, because it's full floating, narrowed to CJ width, 5 lugs, with disc brakes! It's got 4.10 gears, and some type of LSD (supposedly), but I haven't pulled the cover to look inside, yet.

Since I'm sticking with a 258 for this project, my plan was to sell off this D60 for some build money, and put the original AMC 20 (which I also have) back in.

Well, it was pointed out to me recently that the hubs don't look like D60 hubs (of course), and someone might have spliced on some D44 27 spline outers. So, I popped a drive flange off to take a look... and I found 19 spline outers.... 🤨

Shoot! Doesn't that pretty much defeat the purpose of installing a heavy duty axle like the Dana 60?

Now I might as well just leave it in there. It'll hold up fine with a 258 and 32" tires, but it's sure not the brute axle I was hoping it would be.

Oh well, I guess that's part of the thrill of buying other people's projects. :crazy:

D60 - 1.jpeg
d60 - 2.jpeg
d60 - 1 (1).jpeg

Last edited:

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Interesting axle. D60 center is definitely overkill....D44 or Ford 9" would have been more appropriate for those outers. But it's still full float, so that's a plus.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I would either get a stronger diff cover or move the fuel tank back an inch or so. Mine will hit the fuel tank skid under compression. Also, grind the bottom of the diff smooth as the 60 is a boat anchor on rocks.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
If the diff spline count is high/good, just buy some new higher spline drive flanges and get Moser to make you two new axle shafts :shrug::twocents::thumbsup:
I've been thinking about that as well. I need to see if I can find different spindles that will accommodate a larger axle shaft. These are front spindles for 1.175" axle ends, and there doesn't appear to be any clearance to go larger.

Evidently Warn used to make a hub conversion to upgrade the 1.175" 19 spline outers to 1.31" 30 spline outers, along with internally splined hubs (like the AMC20 conversion). The Warn spindles had a larger bore, but I read you could also bore out your stock spindles to 1.35" to fit the larger diameter axle. Maybe I can re-create that setup!

Last edited: