• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Suggestions on rusty frame.

pjevolley

City
Kingsville
State
MO
Pulled the tank and round some bad rust on the frame. Do I try to patch or look for a donor frame or buy a new aftermarket?

Attachments

• 20190818_090215.jpg
    20190818_090215.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20190818_090135.jpg
    20190818_090135.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 42

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I would replace. Cj frames rust from the inside out, so if it looks bad on the outside it is REALLY bad on the inside.

I would personally get a TDK (throttle down kustom) frame. If I was to go back a few months in time I would have done that instead of modifying the stock frame I have. Would have been just a little more expensive but much less work and time invested. (I would have also gotten their cj-tj hybrid frame so I could run a tj spring suspension. Still something I plan to do on a future build.)

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
If it is just a “deer lease” jeep, you could saf-t-cap it, but if it is bad there, it is probably bad elsewhere.

pjevolley

City
Kingsville
State
MO
I am thinking about patching it for now, just to get it on the road. That gives me a little time to set aside the $3,000+ cash for the frame with the YJ spring mounts and springs.. Patching is definitely NOT a long term solution but it buys me some time.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I would replace. Cj frames rust from the inside out, so if it looks bad on the outside it is REALLY bad on the inside.

I would personally get a TDK (throttle down kustom) frame. If I was to go back a few months in time I would have done that instead of modifying the stock frame I have. Would have been just a little more expensive but much less work and time invested. (I would have also gotten their cj-tj hybrid frame so I could run a tj spring suspension. Still something I plan to do on a future build.)
I agree on this. I have a TDK frame although, I believe they were AFW then. I wish I had gone with the TJ frame setup, but it was a stretch for the budget to get the frame in the first place. I looked into it again last year before doing my Waggy front axle and the cost to convert the front to coils was still more than I could stomach.

I ended up doing a spring over with RE springs and I've been pretty happy with it. Here it is on the RTI ramp last weekend.
Resized952019081095123403.jpg

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
I got the Throttle Down Customs frames mentioned above. Many options, from shackle reversal for YJ leafs, standard CJ frame, TJ spring mounts, etc.
My frame is as follows:
Standard CJ suspension setup
Hot Dip Galvanized
Rear spare tire swingout
Rear receiver

It was well worth the money. Also, it is pre-drilled for most all the components you will put back on it. Mine all lined up darn near perfect.