• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

The '83 - Family Man

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I'm back - well I haven't been gone but have been very busy at the shop building customer's dreams so my personal vehicles have sat idle some-what. I have read lots on here just not been very active in posting. Things are gonna change ….

Quick re-cap - I sold the one I said I'd never sell. The '81 was exactly what I always dreamed my Scrambler would be - 2 seats, bulkhead and half top in place, tall lift on 35s... I loved that thing and still do. The fact that it went to a close personal friend of mine means a lot to me. Why in the heck did I sell it? I finally admitted to myself that my dream Scrambler didn't include my dream-to-reality family - a wife that I love to the ends of the Earth and a daughter that makes any day a joy to be alive. I needed something for US.

Obligatory pic of the '81 - also on the side (I guess I finally need to change that)

IMG_3281.JPG

Last edited:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I lucked upon the '83 in the classified section here and realized it was only 4.5 hours away. Spoke to the owner, got some additional pics, and off I went. It was as described and a great place for me to start. Pics of it for sale and after I got it home.
IMG_3342.JPGIMG_3349.JPGIMG_3348.JPGIMG_3346.JPGIMG_3345.JPG

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
First things first - got rid of the bumpers, Rock Hard Cage, Hi-Lift. Also sold the wheels and tires and opted for some chrome originals from JerseyJeeps wrapped in 32's. Took off the RE 4.5" lift and replaced with BDS 2.5" YJ conversion. Also picked up some hard doors, bulkhead and halftop for the future if I ever want to go back and forth with the look.

IMG_3350.JPGIMG_3352.JPGIMG_3353.JPG

Last edited:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Been driving it for awhile and THIS is why I have "Family Man" Finally I have a Scrambler that the 3 of us can ride in and one that my wife feels comfortable driving. As most know I own a number of Jeeps / fun cars but to make memories in a Scrambler with my girls means the most to me.

IMG_3365.JPGIMG_3366.JPG

Last edited:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
The next phase of the build will be later this Fall when some time possibly opens up. As always when it comes to the power plant I stick with AMC. My engine builder, the legendary Jerry Tucker, built a 360 for me. When I have the time to install it will also get FiTech fuel injection and a new trans.

IMG_3358.JPGIMG_3359.JPGIMG_3360.JPG

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
Looks great, Adam. And if anyone has to part with a jeep for the right reasons, you certainly did! Pretty cool that Jerry built your 360- I had several conversations with him as I was starting my 360 build, and he was a great resource. Beyond knowledgeable and really passionate about AMCs. Looking forward to watching your work on this project!

Reactions: SKT

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Looks great, Adam. And if anyone has to part with a jeep for the right reasons, you certainly did! Pretty cool that Jerry built your 360- I had several conversations with him as I was starting my 360 build, and he was a great resource. Beyond knowledgeable and really passionate about AMCs. Looking forward to watching your work on this project!

I'm fortunate to live only an hour away from Jerry. He has built 6 engines for me personally and some for my customers. Awesome work.

Reactions: SKT

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I told my daughter, Jeep hair don't care.
Very nice Adam. Will be watching.
I've been driving past Bart's and it looks like he's moving a Jeep or two. Also a nice pair of SeaDoos!

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Mines a pony tail holder also, but somewhere in their teens something changes and the wind blown hair styles aren't wanted so much. :)

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Parts availability and supply availability have slowed things down quite a bit at the shop. Since I have been accumulating parts for my personal one for a year or so now I decided now's the time. Drove him in to the shop and a day later this is where we are.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
All four spots under the roll bar were rotted out. Bought the repair panels from Classic Enterprises. Other than those areas no other rot! Body is currently in the paint shop. I decided against the factory Mist Silver and am going with a modern silver used on the Ram trucks. Frame and all other bits for the chassis is at powder coat as we speak. More to come soon

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Great to see your onto another build Adam! I’m sure beautiful as the last. That is still one of my favorite builds!