Transmission Identification

RMNP CJ-8

CJ-8.com Member
City
Loveland
State
CO
https://www.rudys-cjs.com/pictorial...manual_shift_cj_to_an_automatic_on_the_column

May help

I can't find a picture of the 'high quality' AMC plastic shifter, JJ may have one.
Other stuff not in the pics
Flexplate -Rockauto or wherever
Flexplate bolts and flexplate to TC bolts (get the right short ones)
Starter solenoid i think and associated wiring
Thanks! Rudy's pictures will be helpful. I may have to give him a call.
I will also have to get some of those other items. I don't want to start until I'm sure I have everything. I hate to have it out of service while I search for parts.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I'm guessing the 904 was only attached to the 4cylinder engine and that all 258's would have had the 999. I'm not sure the input shaft differences would help you, the non-lock up versions have splines all the way to the front, lock ups have a ~3/8" non splined section, can't tell from the pictures.

What else do you need?
Depends if you are going to use the linkages or convert to cable shift, you will need a floor mount shifter base.
Make sure you connect the kick down linkage, you may need a different carb throttle bracket to allow that.

B&M or Lokar offer shift cable kits that may help.
Yeah that’s exactly what I was trying to say above. The sheath being the part around the shaft being more exposed. I just didn’t say it well.

I looked up the 3300 number. It does show 85-85 CJ7 in the 81-86 parts book plus a couple other applications.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I have been looking online and wondering if I would be better using some of the after market solutions for my column shift linkage and the kick down. Does anyone have experience with these?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/idt-2801750010/reviews

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-kd-2727ht
Those are what I was planning on using. I got a lokar cable when I picked up the transmission, but the prior owner had used a floor shifter and I wanted a column shift like OEM.

I emailed Ididit about using your linked kit with a GM column and a Chrysler transmission and they said that was the correct part, that their bracket that attaches to the column is the same for GM and Chrysler columns

OEM linkages kinda sucked, and finding replacement components is getting harder by the day. I'd go with lokar/ididit.

City
Halifax
State
UK
Well not conclusive i am afraid as there appears to be 2 serial numbers missing off the front? maybe they are elsewhere on the casting? If it is an 85 then some came with lockup which is kind of surprising too.(not yours though!) 20200219_075357_resized.jpg

Last edited:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
This is great information... I wasn't sure what to put in my CL ad for the 2 that came out of the 86's I just had...

cb

RMNP CJ-8

CJ-8.com Member
City
Loveland
State
CO
Those are what I was planning on using. I got a lokar cable when I picked up the transmission, but the prior owner had used a floor shifter and I wanted a column shift like OEM.

I emailed Ididit about using your linked kit with a GM column and a Chrysler transmission and they said that was the correct part, that their bracket that attaches to the column is the same for GM and Chrysler columns

OEM linkages kinda sucked, and finding replacement components is getting harder by the day. I'd go with lokar/ididit.
That's good to hear. It's looks like this might be the cleaner and easier option. It is hard to find all the OEM parts needed.

RMNP CJ-8

CJ-8.com Member
City
Loveland
State
CO
Well not conclusive i am afraid as there appears to be 2 serial numbers missing off the front? maybe they are elsewhere on the casting? If it is an 85 then some came with lockup which is kind of surprising too.(not yours though!) View attachment 80093
That's great information! I'm not sure why it is missing the first two numbers, but everything else matches up to confirm it is a 85' 999. The splines go out to the end of the shaft which also confirms it's the non-LU version. Any clue to the meaning of the other numbers?Thanks!

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
As far as the 89 prefix mentioned above that is normal. When they vacated the 7 digit part numbers the 8 digit ones got a prefix. So when a 10 digit PN is seen, ignore the first two.