• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Under dash wire ID help

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Got this '82 wire harness from Ebay. God shape but I could use some help identifying some wires. First picture shows two dark orange wires and a black one. The dark orange one with the end should go to the cigar lighter. The other two could be the radio but I thought the radio was wired direct to the fuse block. What do you think. The two red wires from the tack will plug into each other, but do they?IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG The second picture shows a single orange wire with plug on the end. What is this one for? The 4-wire black flat plug with gray, orange, black, and white wires, what is that for? Also the short black wire from the light switch, what is that one for? Appreciate any help figuring this out. Thanks.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Orange cables are usually dash illumination lighting and also courtesy lights but the 4wd indicator lamp is also orange so one may be that.
Cigar lighter cable should be a red cable but if its faded then may appear dark orange.

If you have a 4.2 then the tachometer sits in line with the coil supply so there should be 2 mating connections for those 2 plugs somewhere?.

Flat black 4 pin plug is for the "optional" fog light harness to plug in to.

Small black cable is an earth connection thats spliced in to the courtesy light connections i dont think it actually does anything. though.

Hope that helps a little!

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
Yes, I agree with Dave. I have the dash off mine right now, and looking at a similar scenario. For the tach hookup, should be a 10ga red line coming off the ignition switch that has a connector between a red and a red w/stripe wire - disconnect that junction and it will plug into the stock tach. (Circled in my picture below). Connectors on the tach should fit only one way-

And to confirm what Dave said, both the black pigtail and the orange wire in your second picture connect to the under-dash courtesy lights, and the flat four wire plug goes to the optional for light harness. :thumbsup:

In your top image, check the single red wire (far left) for 12v with the key on - that plus the adjacent black wire could supply power and ground, respectively, to the cig lighter. The wire in the center - stripped, but no connector - almost appears orange (maybe pink???). Is that the case? Are there any missing plugs/sockets in the speedo head? Looks like it comes off the same bundle in the harness and could either go to a light, or like Dave suggested, the 4wd. The 4wd and brake light bulbs should each have two wires feeding the sockets in the speedo head. Double check to ensure both are there-

Given my dash is completely removed, I could easily snap images of any areas that may be questionable- just let me know! Hope this helps.

Hoov

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_173d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_173d.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 32

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Thanks guys. Found the place to unplug and plug the tach wires into. Had a courtesy light harness so I plugged it in to the orange and black wires. Good to know about the fog or driving light connector. I put plug-in ends on the two wires without and will check them out when all is together. I feel comfortable about the under dash wiring now.

Psully

Basic User
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Port Jefferson
State
NY
Someone posted this schematic

Attachments

• CJ wiring colored full final.jpg
    CJ wiring colored full final.jpg