• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Weak points for Dana 30

CCFather

City
Westminster
State
Md
I want to stay stock. What are the weak points for the Dana 30 and how can I improve them.

Looking to do lite duty wheeling.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Probably the lockouts are the weakest point (intentionally so). Chromoly shafts are a popular upgrade along with a 30 spline carrier. Not much you can do about the ring/pinion gear.

At some point it probably becomes cheaper/better to get a D44 (or D60).

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Been wheeling Dana 30's with 33's for over 25 years.

On my red Scrambler, 33's, OX Locker, chrome moly Dana 44 shafts, internal spline hubs, 4.10 gears, over 39,000 miles of highway/wheeling, no problems. Three trips to Utah, two trips to Michigan, ORV parks in Arkansas, Kentucky, Alabama, Louisiana, etc etc, no problems.

33's, moderate horse power, common sense, hard to difficult wheeling, no worries :twocents:

Any of the above changes, maybe time for an upgrade :twocents:

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
Our version of the Dana 30 really isn't all that bad. I know people who have been wheeling them for years, locked, on 35"s up here. The 6-bolt hub is really the only thing that I believe is worth doing.