• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What new steering box upgrades have you used recently?

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
I did measure the new steering gear and the stock one. Will add the measurements here for posterity.

Stock steering gear measuring inside to inside of the large bell out front = 3.070" (78mm)
Lares 1230 "Rock Crawler" steering gear = 3.485" (88mm)

These are similar numbers to what Keith over on jeepforum.com measured on the Cardone 27-7595 H1 box (86mm) vs his stock one (75mm)

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
What type pitman arm is being used with this application? Just purchased a 98 TJ and originally was going to use the steering gear from that rig on the 8.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I bought a NOS H1. After receiving it, I ran the numbers on eBay, found one much cheaper that wasn’t listed as an H1. Maybe it’ll help someone out.

Thanks for the link. I tried to buy one, seller cancelled my order and said they made a mistake on the qty available. Oh well.....

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Sorry, the one I got looks good, and he has a couple left, but you have to really need one like I did to justify paying the price.

Yeah I've been planning on picking one up for quite a while if I can find one at a reasonable price. If I can't get one cheap I'll stick with my OEM box.

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Back in the day, I put a RedHead in my CJ5. It was great. But I'm told these days they are not so good, and to go with Lares. So I get a Lares, and it makes this weird groaning sound. I check the rest of my steering system, all looks good. So I get another Lares, and a few months later is also starts to groan. WTF? Anyone?

What about these Superboxes? https://www.morris4x4center.com/ste...6HEie25SjrULba3meh4MdORfdwRTrbAhoCI4kQAvD_BwE

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Not for my Jeep, but I have had 2 originals ( GM ) rebuilt and never had a a problem with them. Probably get the Jeep one done in the next couple of years.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Back in the day, I put a RedHead in my CJ5. It was great. But I'm told these days they are not so good, and to go with Lares. So I get a Lares, and it makes this weird groaning sound. I check the rest of my steering system, all looks good. So I get another Lares, and a few months later is also starts to groan. WTF? Anyone?

What about these Superboxes? https://www.morris4x4center.com/ste...6HEie25SjrULba3meh4MdORfdwRTrbAhoCI4kQAvD_BwE

AGR used to be good. From what I've seen on the web, they were bought out, and quality went way down. One of the original founders started PSC, so everyone was going to PSC last time I really looked into it, and that's been a few years ago.

I have an older Superbox 2 (purchased @2002) on one of my CJ7's. It was ok. For the price I wouldn't buy another.

BigAl

Basic User
City
Prattville
State
AL
Yeah I've been planning on picking one up for quite a while if I can find one at a reasonable price. If I can't get one cheap I'll stick with my OEM box.
The one I got ended up a lemon, would not work. Trying to get my money back due to a Turkish item being represented as US made.Thanks to PayPal I’m good. Be careful out there.

Last edited:

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Well I'm going to have shop look at my *SECOND* Lares box I've installed. With both on them there is a "buzzing" when I turn the wheel. The original box before them didn't do that, but it was worn and had slop.

BLEEDING - I did the full proceedure(s) and then some. But could air in the system still be the problem?

PUMP -
It doesn't make any noise, so I assumed it was good. I've checked every other part of the steering system, all good. I got to thinking, could the pump be putting out weak pressure and causing the problem?

gradywhaler

Basic User
City
Old Saybrook
State
CT
I bought my h1 steering box on rockauto.com about 4 months ago. And yes, it really does just bolt in with zero modifications. It looks like they currently have one left. Get on it!

How hard was it to bolt in? Do you have a stock suspension or do you have a lift kit? I am about to tackle a new suspension for my 84 but I want to do the steering as well. Any pointers before I jump in to this little project? On a mechanical scale I'm about a 4, maybe a 5 on a good day.

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
City
Middleobro
State
MA
I went w the same h1 and yes it bolted right in a no modifications. I did have to change the pitman arm but mine was lifted and needed it.

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
City
Middleobro
State
MA
Between that an HD steering shaft and larger drag link and tie bar it steers like a entirely different rig. I also added a steering stabilizer at the same time.

gradywhaler

Basic User
City
Old Saybrook
State
CT
How hard was it to bolt in? Do you have a stock suspension or do you have a lift kit? I am about to tackle a new suspension for my 84 but I want to do the steering as well. Any pointers before I jump in to this little project? On a mechanical scale I'm about a 4, maybe a 5 on a good day.
Between that an HD steering shaft and larger drag link and tie bar it steers like a entirely different rig. I also added a steering stabilizer at the same time.

Dude, thanks soooo much. You don't have the part number for rockauto do you?

gradywhaler

Basic User
City
Old Saybrook
State
CT

Stupide question maybe, did 84's come stock with a steering stabilizer?

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Bolt it in like a stock one. I used the stock pitman arm. I have a 2.5" suspension lift but that won't affect your install.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Stupide question maybe, did 84's come stock with a steering stabilizer?

I don't think any CJ's came with the steering stabilizer, but I could be wrong.

I have one on my current '82, my last '82 did not have one.

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
City
Middleobro
State
MA
I got mine from BAP buy auto parts. Part# 82-00020R it’s a remanufactured w 3 year warranty. I kept the stock one

gradywhaler

Basic User
City
Old Saybrook
State
CT
Okay so just got home from work. I took some pictures but they seem to large to upload for some reason. Any pointers on this hahahaha. I was able to pull so.e numbers off the front of the steering box 5689010. Looks like maybe a gm but seems to go to a lot of other makes. Its definitely leaking as I have almost a bone dry power steering reservoir.